News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SNMP  (Read 3938 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: SNMP
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »

The trouble is that DSL/VDSL is not typically something you see in enterprises/data centres, so I'd guess that is why there hasn't been much support for it in SNMP.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »

True, but then why support SNMP on a VDSL router at all if you're not going to include the VDSL stats?

Its even more bizarre than OpenWRT doesn't have them.  In fact, even monitoring the dsl interface doesn't seem to be working right, the number doesn't seem to be incrementing.  I've tried dsl0, dsl0.101 and the bridge, nothing is bringing any results that make sense.

The Zyxel however IS at least showing the data transfer over the DSL interface.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 02:17:28 AM »

The billion modems support(ed) it.  I used to monitor my billion stats in my ukonline days via snmp.  I agree if a modem device has snmp and it doesnt support putting dsl metrics on there, then it seems counter productive.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »

Did your Billion support the full MIB?  My 7800DXL only returned a few values from the MIB, for example Noise Margin but not any of the error counts.  Based on some quick tests Cisco supports the standard MIB VDSL2-LINE-MIB.

I think the issue may be more that typical home users don't use SNMP, rather than enterprises not using DSL. 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 05:26:06 AM »

I dont think it was absolute full on stats, I monitored sync speed, snrm and I think maybe attenuation also.  The prime purpose at the time was to monitor how well SRA was working.

I have never tried to monitor via SNMP on my newer 8800nl.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »

My Zyxel 8924 supports ADSL-LINE-MIB.  I'm not sure how completely it supports it as there are zillions of entries in the MIB so those that it doesn't return values for may be irrelevant. 
Pages: 1 [2]