News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SNMP  (Read 3937 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
SNMP
« on: March 08, 2020, 09:22:48 PM »

I have a number of devices on my network that speak SNMP, but I’m finding it difficult to locate a useful SNMP app for the iPad. I suppose I could run something on the Raspberry Pi perhaps, as an alternative but GUI-based things are possibly out - I don’t know if GUI-based things are usable especially with me having no mouse.

What good things could I do with SNMP?

Also, will I have any security worries ? (I don’t want to have to make a dog’s breakfast with very messy and unmaintainable firewalling just to fix security problems.)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: SNMP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »

You really want to be using a fixed device to do SNMP polling and receive traps. Your iPad should be doing nothing other than logging into a web interface.

Bunch of software you can use. What are you looking to do?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:29 PM »

I’m just exploring here: I’m wondering what the technology can do for me.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 05:12:16 AM »

In my experience SNMP is a nightmare.  The naming scheme can be so cryptic and it baffles me how often it will give you statistics for a ton of stuff you don't need, then omit to things you do. (typically things like modem stats are missing)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »

https://www.paessler.com/info/snmp_mibs_and_oids_an_overview

Depending on what's exposed, there are standards for MIBs and OIDs, it can be a mine of information

Check PRTG out for starters.  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:04:48 PM by CarlT »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »

PRTG is nice, and has a half decent amount of "sensors" available on the free version.

One interface of one device is classed as a sensor, so you could easily burn through 100 in a small office, but for a home user it should be fine.

SNMP is my bread and butter - used to support tens of thousands of devices in PRTG for several customers once upon a time.

Carl is right, the iPad would be used to access the web front end. PRTG requires a Windows machine to run.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »

I have not worked professionally in data comms for over a decade.

Preceding that, from late 1980s onwards it became normal for marketing managers, just when we thought a project was understood, to suddenly add a requirement that we must support SNMP.   I hated that as it seemed to be just a tick-box, with no clear definition of what functionality was really wanted.   

I also discovered however that if I simply ignored the requirement, nobody noticed.  Might be different these days. :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:15 PM »

Very much so. Monitoring has been built around SNMP for a while now.

Other options are, of course, available, but SNMP traps and OID reads are a huge thing.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 04:29:25 PM »

PRTG is nice, and has a half decent amount of "sensors" available on the free version.

One interface of one device is classed as a sensor, so you could easily burn through 100 in a small office, but for a home user it should be fine.

Is it not one function == one sensor?  For example at home here my 4G router is a "device", with multiple "sensors" for example I have LTE traffic as one sensor another with the LTE signal strength readings.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »

Is it not one function == one sensor?  For example at home here my 4G router is a "device", with multiple "sensors" for example I have LTE traffic as one sensor another with the LTE signal strength readings.

Yes, every single interface on a device counts as a sensor. So 100 is great if you are an SME or home user, but I'd burn through that in a Data Centre in no time :)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »

Sorry, I wasn't really clear.  What I meant is that potentially other functions also add to the sensor count.  So if you're monitoring some IP SLAs, Netflow, etc then the sensor count can easily exceed the number of interfaces.  Conversely if you add a device with 100 interfaces, but only monitor one then that's one sensor, not 100.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »

Ah I see - yes that is likely the case (SLA monitor etc)

And yes, if you only monitor 1 interface - then yes it'll count for 1.

The clever part of it is, when you install it  - it auto discovers and adds everything to the portal :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »

What frustrates me is modems/routers seem to NEVER include DSL statistics in their SNMP tables.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »

True in some cases.  Billion include a couple of figures, and in fact my old Linksys did as well.  If I remember rightly Billion uses the VDSL MIB even on their ADSL router, but many of the variables are just empty.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 06:51:12 PM »

True in some cases.  Billion include a couple of figures, and in fact my old Linksys did as well.  If I remember rightly Billion uses the VDSL MIB even on their ADSL router, but many of the variables are just empty.

Must be very few and far between as I think I've checked every router I ever owned and none had it.

I mean even OpenWRT isn't providing it and it seems Zyxel isn't either.
Pages: [1] 2

anything