News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: G.Fast  (Read 3040 times)

eraser2002

• Just arrived
G.Fast
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

Hi all
My local cabinet was an old iron one until recently. It was re-shelled last week and it has a pod attached exactly like the one in this picture i attach, with the grills and silver handle
i notice at least two other local cabinets have them too.
is it definitely g.fast or could it be for something else, its attached to the PCP not the ECI cab which is nearby. i thought it was on hold for future deployments at they were focusing on fttp. cant see anything on the checker websites saying it available, or soon to be available though.
i hope so as id love the faster speeds  ;D
Thanks,
Chris

re0

• Reg Member
Re: G.Fast
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »

May be, may not be. I have not personally witnessed VDSL being installed in pods, but it may well be that as it has been mentioned quite a few times.

Based some previous posts you made - presuming you are living at the same address - G.fast almost certainly will not benefit you anyway. The only real possible exception where there is a slim chance here is if your green "Fibre" cabinet (that injects the signal) is around 100m away from your PCP (where the pod is bolted), so in that case your line length may be short enough for G.fast to work.

In short, if this is G.fast, there is very little chance it will benefit you as you seem to be 400+ metres away from your cabinet and G.fast typically does not operate much faster than FTTC if at all when at or over approx 300-350m.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

eraser2002

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »

Thanks for replying. Bt fixed my line which was poor before and ended up below the handdback threshold.
I believe its approx 350m length and is now 59mb. So I hope it will be g.fast as it may just work.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »

If you're only getting 59Mbps then  g.fast will almost certainly not work, the only two exceptions would be if cross talk is severely affecting your line, or your line is banded, although that would suggest your line has or had a problem.

G.Fast uses higher frequencies than vdsl, and if you was using the full range for vdsl you would have much nearer 80Mbps.

The cabinet addition could just be for more tie pairs, usually that sort of extension wouldn't have vents, but this has been reported recently, perhaps they are just using up old stock.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »

Wouldn't place any hope on it to be honest, even if the pod is G.fast. The only thing I would suggest is keeping an eye on the Openreach website (checking with address), alongside the BT Wholesale DSL checker every week or so. It is most likely going to take between 3-6 months before it is live, so then you will know.

You could bother the higher-ups at Openreach, but I would just go with the flow and see what live day brings for your estimates. If they continue to be blank but neighbours closer to the cabinet eventually get estimates, then you will know you are too far.

eraser2002

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

Thanks guys,
Its maybe best I forget it for now and not get my hopes up. Ill keep an eye on the checker but after what you said g.fast probably wont work anyways.
I put my name forward for the ECI G.INP trial with plusnet, my line was doing 63-64mb until interleaving was applied again recently.
It's still a good speed what i have.
Chris

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »

Same in my area, I noticed they are attaching a pods to existing PCP in my area, they even attached one to my PCP which is 5m away from the ECI DSLAM. Nothing is showing in BT DSL checker as of yet but I am hoping g.fast could be available here soon. I am around 230m from ECI DSLAM and getting attainable rate of 100000/25000 so it could potentially benefit me. I am more of curious if g.fast can reduce my latency even further possibly to 6-7ms.

I am attaching a picture
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:44:50 AM by N0STIE »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »

... I noticed they are attaching a pods to existing PCP in my area ... Nothing is showing in BT DSL checker as of yet but I am hoping g.fast could be available here soon.
Could be waiting 3-6 months if it is a G.fast pod.

I am more of curious if g.fast can reduce my latency even further possibly to 6-7ms.
Unlikely, if you're already fastpath on FTTC. G.fast will make no difference to your latency if your limitations are geographical. In fact, latency could even be worse if the provider you choose has "worse" routing, though the message here is that the G.fast technology in itself is not going to increase or decrease latency.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »

Same in my area, I noticed they are attaching a pods to existing PCP in my area, they even attached one to my PCP which is 5m away from the ECI DSLAM. Nothing is showing in BT DSL checker as of yet but I am hoping g.fast could be available here soon. I am around 230m from ECI DSLAM and getting attainable rate of 100000/25000 so it could potentially benefit me. I am more of curious if g.fast can reduce my latency even further possibly to 6-7ms.

I am attaching a picture

As CarlT already pointed out, you already have very good latency for your location.

Why would you be trying to chase 6-7ms when he himself gets 7-8ms, on FTTP, from what I'm guessing from his comments are a location further south thus inherently lower latency to the BT core network?

Even if you could, chasing a couple of milliseconds is a fools errand, you're into margin of error measurements as line conditions, routing, router priorities/load for ICMP packets, change all the time.  You're driving yourself bat-p00 crazy over something that is unlikely to make any real-world difference to you.  ::)  Its the sort of thing I would have done in the past.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:41:40 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »

FTTP will bring a couple of ms lower latency
G.fast probably won't.

That pod is probably for VDSL. Most being installed now are.

If we're talking about 2ms being such a big deal that it's going to make a difference to gaming that's noticeable there are various chemical substances that will reduce nominal reaction time by more.

EDIT: In terms of latency the best you're going to get to most locations via BT Wholesale is over BT but will likely be marginal. As far as those versus LLU go if you connect to an MSE in your exchange the difference will come from the end ISP. Wholesale in and of itself has similar or better latency than LLU networks, the trip to get to the ISP and back may elongate the path a bit.

In any event for lower eyeball to server latency various perfectly legal stimulants will make more difference than FTTC to G.fast or FTTP, as will getting adequate sleep.

For the ultimate broadband related latency improvement moving to a full fibre equipped property in London Docklands is the best move.

Professional gamer? Streamer?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:05:55 PM by CarlT »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »

Is there such a thing as a truly professional gamer, or is it just puffery? How would one make money out of playing games "for a living"?

It sounds utterly ridiculous to me but I don’t know; it’s probably worth checking every 40 years or so.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 05:39:55 PM »

Is there such a thing as a truly professional gamer, or is it just puffery? How would one make money out of playing games "for a living"?

It's a multi billion dollar  a year industry.
Prize money for tournaments can be in the millions.

People don't just pay to compete but pay to watch.
Huge amounts to be made in sponsorship also.

It's already a booming industry that has been growing considerably every year but with the current lockdown it may grow even quicker than predicted as it's about the only "sport" (I use that term loosely) that can take place at the moment.

There's even attempts to get E-Sports added to the Olympics  :-\
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »

I suppose technically e-Sports still need physical effort so does qualify as sport.  It kinda depends as one definition is "physical exertion" which to me suggest far more effort than moving a mouse/joypad.

There is no denying however that you need extreme precision and hand-to-eye co-ordination to play games competitively.  I know this from the fact I gave up on that years ago as I have neither.  My hand-to-eye improved but the disabilities in my hands also got worse.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:24:53 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »

Much the same way people make money out of throwing darts at a board or hitting balls into one another with cues.
Pages: [1] 2

anything