Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PC monitor problems?  (Read 5876 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: PC monitor problems?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »

Microsoft's default screen blank timeout is 10 mins. Found in Settings - Power. Can be set to never.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »

Second that or at least, not a monitor fault (as opposed to problem).

As I think has been mentioned in this thread, I’d be looking at inactivity/sleep timeouts.   Noting that such timeouts may be configured on the monitor, or the Operating System, or both.

I'm not aware of timeouts being configured on the monitor, as the monitor has no clue when the PC is active or not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »

I'm not aware of timeouts being configured on the monitor, as the monitor has no clue when the PC is active or not.

The OS can’t properly implement it either, as it does not reliably know whether the human operator is actually looking at the screen, even if he or she has not moved the mouse for a while. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »

The OS can’t properly implement it either, as it does not reliably know whether the human operator is actually looking at the screen, even if he or she has not moved the mouse for a while. :)

Very true, I've always turned it off.  Even the Xbox One has a flawed implementation where it dims the screen during in-game cut scenes.

My OLED TV in fact DOES have its own feature to dim the screen when a static image is displayed to avoid burn in.  Mostly it does a surprisingly good job, but I have noticed it falsely kick in on some YouTube videos where its just someone sat talking with a static background.  I don't think its ever falsely triggered when displaying my PC though, it seems to realise quite quickly when I've moved the mouse and if its a genuinely static screen you don't need maximum brightness anyway.

For OLED its absolutely essential and clearly works, I've foolishly left static screens on loads of times over the past year and no visible issues yet. (touch wood)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »

The challenge on iMacs is working out what state it is really in.

There’s a screensaver timeout then, as you’d expect, an idle timeout, after which the screen goes off altogether.  It still consumes quite a bit of power but after a further timeout the whole system should hibernate, consuming nearly no power.

Unfortunately there are many bugs and features that prevent hibernation from happening, and no status lights to tell you the difference between ‘screen off’ and actual hibernate.   The only way to tell is to plug it in via a wattmeter, then wait a while before checking to see if it’s dropped to zero-ish.  Mine generally needs a fair bit of quite difficult meddling, each OS update often undoing my efforts.

I’m generally a fan of Apple, and by no means a climate warrior.  But I disapprove strongly that an awful lot of iMacs may waste an awful lot of energy in this way, the owners having no idea whatsoever there is any problem. :(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 03:35:04 AM »

Speaking of weird, my desktop PC used to consume MORE power turned off than in sleep mode.

I can only assume it was some weird issue with what rails on the PSU it was using and perhaps 5VSB being super inefficient compared to the main rails.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »

Update...
I found my old 19" monitor, and have added it to the problematic 24" one.
They both appear to be working as should now.  :fingers:

No Idea why that should be?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »

Maybe it was lonely?  :lol:

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »

love it  :D
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes
Pages: 1 [2]