Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PC monitor problems?  (Read 5878 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
PC monitor problems?
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »

would any of you guys know how to cure my monitor from going off after approx 10seconds?
It's a pain in the proverbial, as I will be in the middle of something and it will go off unless I'm using the mouse.
If i go away from it for a minute or so, I have to "Start" again  :'(

The monitor is an AOC 23inch and approx 9 years old.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: PC monitor problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »

it will go off unless I'm using the mouse.

Normally I would have said PSU issue with your VDU switching off after 10 secs but the "unless I'am using the mouse" statement is confusing ?

I'am assuming  you have not changed any of the VDU settings recently, even then, I don't think that you would be likely to set the "inactivity sleep" timer to 10 seconds, again assuming the VDU has such a feature.

If your VDU has a separate PSU try substituting that if possible with a unit of similar voltage/power rating with a similar connector of the same polarity.
If the VDU PSU is integral then your only option is to get inside the casing and look for any obvious, faulty components such as leaking or swollen electrolytic capacitors.

I had exactly the same issue recently with a much younger Samsung VDU, just out of warranty of course !
This had an external PSU which I was able to directly substitute, like for like, unfortunately that did not cure.
Did manage to open the VDU but could not see any obvious component failures, no joy, had to scrap.

9 years is quite a long life for a modern, "economy" electrolyitic capacitor, the component that is most likely to age and fail most quickly.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:13:48 PM »

Hi

would any of you guys know how to cure my monitor from going off after approx 10seconds?
It's a pain in the proverbial, as I will be in the middle of something and it will go off unless I'm using the mouse.
If i go away from it for a minute or so, I have to "Start" again  :'(

The monitor is an AOC 23inch and approx 9 years old.

Try a different monitor cable.  Also try resetting the monitor back to factory defaults.

When it goes blank what is the LED indicator on the monitor doing?  When it goes blank get a torch and shine it into the display, can you see the stuff in the display still there?  This would indicate a back light issue.

The oddity is why moving the mouse makes a difference and so might point to software/settings on your computer turning off the monitor after a very short time of inaction.

You could try disconnecting the computer from the monitor and then going into the monitors set up menus, does it still go off after 10 seconds?

Regards

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »

There's two oddities "unless I'am using the mouse" and "start again"

Not sure if Bob is using Windows 10, but the shortest option for turning off the display is 1 minute (perhaps it would be worth adjusting this in power options in case the setting is corrupted or something), and if the display did turn off he wouldn't need to start again, a simple wiggle of the mouse should wake the screen back up and everything should still be there.

So I wonder if there is something else going on?

I have two monitors at work, every now and again one will go off, I suspect that's some sort of power issue, as everything shifts to the other monitor, but there's no starting again, just have to move the windows back across when it comes back on. Although that has got me thinking as to what would happen if I only had one monitor???
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 09:19:07 PM »

You say that using the mouse prevents the monitor from going off. Does using the keyboard keep it awake too?

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »

There's two oddities "unless I'am using the mouse" and "start again"

Not sure if Bob is using Windows 10, but the shortest option for turning off the display is 1 minute (perhaps it would be worth adjusting this in power options in case the setting is corrupted or something), and if the display did turn off he wouldn't need to start again, a simple wiggle of the mouse should wake the screen back up and everything should still be there.

So I wonder if there is something else going on?

I have two monitors at work, every now and again one will go off, I suspect that's some sort of power issue, as everything shifts to the other monitor, but there's no starting again, just have to move the windows back across when it comes back on. Although that has got me thinking as to what would happen if I only had one monitor???

Yes, win 10 home.
Yes, I do wiggle the mouse to wake it up, but it's frustrating when halfway through something and it goes blank/black.
I think the monitor is probably had it's day  :'(
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »

You say that using the mouse prevents the monitor from going off. Does using the keyboard keep it awake too?

TBO, I haven't tried the keyboard, I will next time.
RIP my monitor. Thanks for helping guys,

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »

If moving the mouse keeps it working, it seems unlikely its a monitor problem IMO.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 11:59:21 PM »

If moving the mouse keeps it working, it seems unlikely its a monitor problem IMO.

Second that or at least, not a monitor fault (as opposed to problem).

As I think has been mentioned in this thread, I’d be looking at inactivity/sleep timeouts.   Noting that such timeouts may be configured on the monitor, or the Operating System, or both.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 07:41:37 AM »

Yes, I'd like to get into the OSD settings, but I cannot get it up properly.
To explain (If I can) I touch the button to bring up the menu (Brightness, colour, settings etc), then I can scroll up & down with the arrows.
Then select settings or whatever, but there appears to be no way of scrolling across to see what I might be able to do ???
I hope that makes sense?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »

If it's like my monitors you press the button to get the OSD, then use the up and down buttons to select the item and then press the first button again to enter the selected item.

Have you read the monitors manual? (when all else fails RTFM!)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 10:16:48 AM »

I live in a Microsoft-free environment and so cannot try this.  But the following link might describe how to reach the OS settings at least...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027067/windows-10-how-to-adjust-power-and-sleep-settings

I have sometimes come across well-intentioned, but misguided, ‘save the planet’ suggestions that might lead to power/sleep being accidentally messed up.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 12:51:02 PM »

If it's like my monitors you press the button to get the OSD, then use the up and down buttons to select the item and then press the first button again to enter the selected item.

Have you read the monitors manual? (when all else fails RTFM!)

Yes, I did exactly that (pressed the first button again) but the OSD just disappeared. ::)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »

Yes, I did exactly that (pressed the first button again) but the OSD just disappeared. ::)

Thank you, I will check it out when time allows  :)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »

I live in a Microsoft-free environment and so cannot try this.  But the following link might describe how to reach the OS settings at least...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027067/windows-10-how-to-adjust-power-and-sleep-settings

I have sometimes come across well-intentioned, but misguided, ‘save the planet’ suggestions that might lead to power/sleep being accidentally messed up.

Oops, quote meant for you ::)
Pages: [1] 2