Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Zen bandwidth usage during pandemic  (Read 5872 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Zen bandwidth usage during pandemic
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »

@Alex how did you discover the correct destination address to traceroute to?

NAT state table, or specifically on pfSense I just viewed the traffic graph page which lets you display all remote IPs currently being accessed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »

I could look at the sessions/flows table in my router, but it’s very noisy and you don’t get domain names; I’d have to reverse-lookup them. There’s typically an awful lot of random ipv6 crud to look through, much of it not relevant.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 11:44:37 PM »

A mischief deep within makes me want to contact Brussels with a concern that there is increased terrestrial TV news coverage of Coronavirus.  I’d mention that these broadcasts are all in High Definition, whereas emergency services also have to compete for radio spectrum.

What’s the betting they’d ask the BBC to switch Freeview back to SD? :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 01:47:21 AM »

The image quality was awful at times well before this on standard rate when there was a lot of incompressible content. At least it’s good news for me in that I can download programmes faster on my slow 10Mbps d/s link.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »

I've just picked-up on this thread and I'm afraid this is something I'd very much label as 'first world problem'. The world in is crisis and we are worrying that our streaming services don't look quite as nice as usual! With the number of people having to work at home now I think it's absolutely right that bandwidth is being diverted to more important things.
If they were threatening to turn them off that might (only might) be a different matter, but for now what has been done seems a very proportionate response to me.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:49:49 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »

we never had bandwidth issues to being with.
BT showed that they were never reaching anywhere near their highest peak.

lets watch all these streaming services "forget" to increase it again once everything is back to normal.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 02:12:33 PM »

I've just picked-up on this thread and I'm afraid this is something I'd very much label as 'first world problem'. The world in is crisis and we are worrying that our streaming services don't look quite as nice as usual! With the number of people having to work at home now I think it's absolutely right that bandwidth is being diverted to more important things.
If they were threatening to turn them off that might (only might) be a different matter, but for now what has been done seems a very proportionate response to me.

You seem to be forgetting that vulnerable people are relying on this to cope with the stress.  Plus as already pointed out, there is no bandwidth problem that they need to mitigate here.  You can't make a big push for net neutrality and then simply backtrack on it, even during an emergency, without causing a fuss.  What's to say those home workers aren't also watching Netflix to relax in their free time?  Who are they to say my mental health is less important?

We need to make a big deal out of this so people finally realise THIS is the future they are asking for by ditching physical media.

The services also need to realise how insane this is when I could go and Torrent the same content at better quality than they are now streaming, and that doesn't seem to be throttled either.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »

I absolutely understand that people use streaming services to help relax and that it's good for their mental health. All of the services are still available at present, just not at the quality level they have been. The workers at home can still watch Netflix if they choose. I just think that at this time of international crisis there are much higher priorities than the resolution of online steaming services.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »

Maybe just me but I stop enjoying things once the macro-blocking reaches a certain point.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »

Maybe just me but I stop enjoying things once the macro-blocking reaches a certain point.

There is a point where it gets annoying yes, but that depends on what you are watching on I suppose. Its less obvious on smaller screens.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »

youtube, for example, have just changed their "auto" setting to default to 720p, but you can still manually put it back up to 4k (where applicable).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »

I don’t believe there was a problem that needed fixing; the important thing for ISPs is peak demand surely ? and I don’t see that being any worse - homeworkers now working through the day will have a spread-out load, and the evening peak will be unchanged.

On the other hand, if the ISPs are concerned about total traffic quantity then that will have been moved from offices to homes but in the case of calling in to the office with a corporate VPN then you still have the into-office traffic too so all in all a 2x (or 3x) increase in total : home-Internet + internet-office + office-internet possibly.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 11:33:49 PM »

I don’t believe there was a problem that needed fixing; the important thing for ISPs is peak demand surely ? and I don’t see that being any worse - homeworkers now working through the day will have a spread-out load, and the evening peak will be unchanged.

Exactly!  I've not seen a single report from an ISP saying they were struggling under the load, all the major UK ISPs said they were well within their peak capacity.
Pages: 1 2 [3]