Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BT Wholesale pricing for new 550 Mb and 1 Gbit FTTP services  (Read 6927 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: BT Wholesale pricing for new 550 Mb and 1 Gbit FTTP services
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »

I would apologise however it came with the new build property. I will comfort myself with that we paid a provocative amount of money for the house.  :)

PS It does indeed go over 900 Mbit/s.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »

Only viable way for BT Wholesale to do it. I know they wanted to be rid of it for NGA but guess they couldn't get a viable solution.

PPP can easily be accelerated in hardware. The BRAS handle enormous amounts of it thanks to ASICs.

I remember the presentation from the BT guy, he was saying it was going to be ditched, so they did want to get rid of it, and is annoying to see it is still around.

The problem with the acceleration is in most opensource firmware's it doesnt work as it tends to be exclusive to closed source drivers.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »

Veeeery hard to find something that'll max it out but it is possible.

Single thread:

Multiple:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:40:25 PM by CarlT »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »

The problem with the acceleration is in most opensource firmware's it doesnt work as it tends to be exclusive to closed source drivers.

Custom firmwares use the binary blobs provided by hardware suppliers rather than their own I thought?

I'm not sure why they'd rewrite the wheel on this one. I'd have thought they'd work out how to interact with the drivers and call them? That's certainly what some custom firmwares do.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 01:45:00 PM »

Custom firmwares use the binary blobs provided by hardware suppliers rather than their own I thought?

I'm not sure why they'd rewrite the wheel on this one. I'd have thought they'd work out how to interact with the drivers and call them? That's certainly what some custom firmwares do.

I don't know about PPP but NAT offloading is usually closed-source kernel modules that are compiled for ancient kernels, so completely useless on modern OS like DD-WRT/OpenWRT.

Its also annoyingly why you can't simply keep using an old smartphone on new Android, because key features like the camera are locked behind binary blobs compiled for specific OS builds.  Its kinda worse in Android as they keep changing the OS level APIs too so even if you could get the binary loaded on a newer kernel, often the Camera API is outdated so won't work on a newer OS.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:47:24 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »

Veeeery hard to find something that'll max it out but it is possible.

Looking at the amazing speeds it reminds me of how far we have come from the days of dial up costing us per minute.

I dream of those speeds  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »

Seems more a reference to OpenWRT who as the name suggests will only use stuff that is open source.

Alternative custom firmware developers don't have such an issue.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »

Seems more a reference to OpenWRT who as the name suggests will only use stuff that is open source.

Their own fault for putting ideological 'purity' above practicality, then.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »

Looking at the amazing speeds it reminds me of how far we have come from the days of dial up costing us per minute.

I dream of those speeds  :)

Not even just per minute, you had to pay a subscription fee to the ISP as well.

I just marvel at the fact my first LAN was 10-BASE-2 and my first modem was 14.4k (56k was probably out by then but I scrounged it for free) which I shared across that LAN using Slackware Linux that had to be installed from a metric ton of floppy disks.

Then when you consider what DOCSIS 3.1 can do down (more or less) the same cable as the LAN, and VDSL down that same phone line, its really astonishing.

It actually makes me sad that generations after me won't have the same experience of seeing (and appreciating) how far technology has come.  Now they just expect it.  I'm a little sad that my generation missed the whole programming taught at schools thing, that really didn't last long, although I guess its somewhat resurged now in a different way.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 02:30:19 PM »

I don't think that's true as such, the modem firmwares aren't open source and they use them and they HAVE to use the open source drivers for things like Atheros WiFi because they have a different branch of firmware for the open source driver only provide the closed-source to hardware manufacturers.

Another problem is when there are custom patches to the kernel for specific hardware, they need to keep it as generic as possible to support such a wide variety of hardware.

There are legal ramifications too I think, where you down want to risk the whole project for doing something that might not be 100% in line with what the manufacturer allows.

Fact is, not all hardware vendors will provide enough source code to actually compile a working firmware and even if they do it will be a very specific build environment that is not compatible with OpenWRT.  Broadcom for example is often impossible to support, DD-WRT have a special deal with some vendors to be able to support it on specific routers but AFAIK that requires a LOT more work which holds back support for other hardware and newer software versions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:38:25 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 04:00:23 AM »

some but not all

i dont have accelerated on pfsense/opnsense, didnt on tomatowrt either

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »

Isn't pfsense intended to run on appliances with no dedicated hardware acceleration, not hardware routers with SoCs and ASICs?

Tomato flavours are I believe intended for such devices though.

brutos

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 11:27:11 AM »

Recently Upgraded

Snr VoIP Engineer
SCCA Certified
Cisco R&S Certified.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »

Here's my FTTC result - doesn't look so different  :lol: (:'() - If I booted everyone else off I can probably get another 3Mbps!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:43:05 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »

Todays Plusnet + Zen combined result:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything