Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Short packets  (Read 2289 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Short packets
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »

Say someone sends me an IPv4 TCP packet and it is less than 40 bytes long, or any IPv4 packet that is less than 20 bytes long (do I have the minimum lengths correct?), then what does that do to operating system <x>? Are there still bugs in operating systems relating to checking for this and other similar evils?

I ask because I was reading about a switch that offers checking for such things and I wondered if there is still any need for such external checks. Of course a stateful firewall provides a guard against evildoers anyway unless they are already inside your LAN that is.

petef

• Reg Member
Re: Short packets
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »

You are correct about the minimum packet sizes. Shorter packets might be caused by transmission errors or malicious construction. Both of those should be caught by the link layer. I hesitate to say that all current OSs are bug free but it would surprise me if there were handling errors in network drivers. Many years ago I found a bug in IBM's IP handling which had been causing NFS errors. That was an exception which proves the rule.

A switch allows you to offload processing onto separate hardware. Any lift will depend on how many dodgy packets need to be dealt with.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »

Discarded as junk. Error counter will increment as packet/frame is considered corrupted.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »

NB switch won't care, or shouldn't as it should be inspecting Ethernet headers only, router will discard.