Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netflix problems  (Read 2414 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Netflix problems
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »

Had a huge load of problems with Netflix last night, was trying to download a series of eight programmes and couldn’t get Netflix iOS app on iPad to download multiple programmes in parallel and so it was much slower than normal. Also it kept downloading programmes only for them in some cases to disappear when 100% was reached and the download then started all over again, either that or in some other cases a programme was successfully downloaded but could then not be played because if some meaningless error message with an error code and no explanation.

When you download from Netflix, do four programmes download in parallel ?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Netflix problems
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:17 PM »

I'd guess it's the load on the system or something that Netflix has done in light of the demand being placed on it, perhaps? I'm not sure. I don't use Netflix so I can't confirm.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »

I've never downloaded from Netflix but streaming is working fine, at least right now.

Then again I think both Plusnet and Zen have Netflix cache servers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:43:41 AM »

I had one instance where eight programmes were downloading in parallel and another where only one single download at a time was happening, all very slow. It seems very unfair given the fact that I don’t even have an FTTC type download rate; my combined download TCP payload rate should be about 10.0-10.5 Mbps so they should be able to handle that surely? I have installed an iOS app version update since then and will have to see what happens now.

anything