Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Linux in space  (Read 2687 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Linux in space
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »

Interesting.
Lots of laptops and equipment is Linux powered on the ISS.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »

Linux may be cheaper than alternatives, and easier to find trained developers, but is it really the best solution for spacecraft?   I’d have thought an ultra stable, purpose-written, real time OS might be more apt, such as VxWorks...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxWorks

VxWorks is designed for use in embedded systems requiring real-time, deterministic performance and, in many cases, safety and security certification, for industries, such as aerospace and defense, medical devices, industrial equipment, robotics, energy, transportation, network infrastructure, automotive, and consumer electronics

Let’s not don’t dwell upon the Martian Pathfinder priority inversion bug (google for that) but I thought something like VxWorks would still be a better choice than Linux for mission-critical, cost-no-object developments, especially when about to be deployed in outer space?   :-\

Same Wiki article goes on to suggest that VxWorks will be used in NASA’s Mars 2020 rover.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 01:11:26 AM »

The ship's touchscreen interface is rendered using Chromium and JavaScript

Holy crap, how much RAM do they have on there?  :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »

And the ancient x86 processors..... :o still there supposed to be radiation :fingers: proof
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »

I’m interested in zdnet’s article’s description of the triple processor redundancy.

It's only when every processor comes up with the same answer that a command is sent to the PowerPC microcontrollers.

Hmm, in the quite likely scenario where one processor becomes permanently defective while the other two continue to work, would not such a strategy always lead to a complete freeze of the command stream, sending the craft hurtling off in entirely the wrong direction?

I’d have thought more likely, as long as two of the processors completely agreed, their command would be accepted while the third would be assumed to be in error, and ignored.

Confession though, of all the various technologies in which I have dabbled, rocket science is not one of them. :D