Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lightning Strike of the 15th Feb (2020) - How Many is That Now?  (Read 4856 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Lightning Strike of the 15th Feb (2020) - How Many is That Now?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »

I'm sorry this wouldn't be much help as I'm the other end of the country, but if it were close enough I'd be happy to have come round and helped you all out with this.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »

Hi

Please could I ask why you think your firebrick bonds 3 ports for wan so any can be used.

Below suggests you can only use 1 on the firebrick for switch to modems on vlans - so in their example, it shows port 3 of firebrick is vlan tagged

To overcome the physical port restriction a VLAN switch can be used - for example:
ADSL MODEM 1  --                                           
ADSL MODEM 2  --                                           
ADSL MODEM 3  --  VLAN Switch  --  Firebrick  --  LAN SWITCH  ==  Computers
ADSL MODEM 4  --

The switch would be set up for 4 (or more) separate VLANs on the appropriate ports, and on the FireBrick, the <ppp .../> config would have VLAN="n".

Overview

The FireBrick will have a single WAN port, which will plug in to the HP Switch. The ADSL/FTTC modems will plug in to the HP Switch too. This will then, with VLANs, enable the FireBrick to use up to 7 ADSL/FTTC modems.

https://support.aa.net.uk/FireBrick_Bonding_more_than_3_lines

If the above is true, then I do not understand why AA could not resolve or perhaps I do not understand the issue sorry

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 03:39:41 PM »

Hi

Sorry I meant to also say I would not use lan1 on switch for vlan

I would use ports 2 3 4 and 5 and exclude port 1 on tagging

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

Thanks Dee.jay and John for your generous help.

AA has now solved it. The bug was that PVIDs are required. I read this https://www.megajason.com/2018/04/30/what-is-pvid/ but I don’t understand vlan switch speak although I do understand the concept.

What a relief, it’s taken over a week. Nightmare. AA’s support have been very good, not giving up on it.

Here attached is the bad switch config and the good switch config :

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 05:23:53 PM »

AA has now solved it.

That is good to know.  :)

(I tried to work through the official documentation for the GS1900-8 and found myself getting bogged-down with concepts I don't fully understand. I did notice that the switch has the feature we were considering -- on each GUI screen there would be an "apply" button, to apply the configuration change  and then there is a global "save" button, to save the current configuration to NVRAM. Thus power-cycling the device would loose the configuration if it had not been previously saved.)

The two configuration files have now been downloaded for later consideration.

A query. Which switch was the one being configured? Was it the newly supplied one? Or was it the one that was deployed when the lightning's spike caused havoc?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »

Hi

If you look at the link I posted re switch config, there is 2 for switch config downloads, which should correctly setup the switch. Click the link for the zylex switch which weaver has

I have not downloaded them as we do not use them, so cannot confirm if correct or not sorry

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 03:58:12 AM »

@burakkucat - it was the newly supplied one that was being worked in last week including yesterday. I’m assuming that the original switch in use during the strike was dead, for janet’s description. But I haven’t verified that.

AA staff have written a note about this on the website. I’m hoping there is a fixed correct config in the support website now too. The support website now makes the point that the PoE switch behaves differently from the non-PoE version. I didn’t know this but it seems, I’ll have to check, that AA sent me a PoE switch last week and it was that that caused all the trouble.

It maybe that the switch I now have has a model identification with some suffix on it to indicate PoE.

AA emailed me the switch config, which I posted here. Saved me having to go into the switch to download it.

@burakkucat I don’t understand all the terminology and VLAN switch concepts either, I wish they would just say "adds a tag / removes a tag" clearly like that. Thank you for discovering the apply and save buttons, that could well have caught me out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »

I have performed a sideways diff on the two configuration files. Here are my observations:
  • For the "System Description"; the bad is "ZyXEL GS1900-8 Switch", the good is "ZyXEL GS1900-8HP Switch".
  • For the "Revision"; the bad is "A1", the good is "B1".
  • For the "Serial Number"; the bad is "S183C24001160", the good is "S182L36006590".
  • For the "MAC Address Range"; the bad is "5C:E2:8C:F8:3D:4F - 5C:E2:8C:F8:3D:57", the good is "BC:99:11:AB:DD:D9 - BC:99:11:AB:DD:E1".
  • For the "Firmware Version"; the bad is "V2.40(AAHH.1) | 03/30/2018", the good is "V2.40(AAHI.0) | 11/14/2017".
From the ZyXEL ftp-server, the current firmware version is "V2.50(AAHI.0)C0" and it is dated "06/11/2019".

It maybe that the switch I now have has a model identification with some suffix on it to indicate PoE.

Yes, it does. The "HP" suffix is the indicator. (According the ZyXEL, the "HP" indicates "high power".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]