Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36840 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2021, 12:07:12 AM »

Openreach don't have anything that terminates PPP. Wholesale only terminate BT Retail sessions, the rest their equipment behaves as LACs / L2TP Access Concentrators and forwards the session to the ISP's LNS / L2TP Network Server which terminates the PPP session.

Openreach don't authenticate, Wholesale only look at the realm in the username, the bit after the @, so that they know where to steer the PPP session.

BSR I only know as a PIM multicast bootstrap router. Should be able to terminate IPoE on pretty much anything, it's just Ethernet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2021, 05:20:57 PM »

Should be able to terminate IPoE on pretty much anything, it's just Ethernet.

That has always been my understanding. Thanks for the confirmation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

supernoodles

« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »

Openreach seem to be digging the ground up on Observatory way / New Meridian Village one.network seems to say they are here until the 24th i wonder if this is for FTTP as at the moment its just FTTC in the road  :hmm:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2021, 01:40:18 PM »

My brothers install is finally live, but he is only getting around 270/73, yet he's on 500/75. Upload is fine, latency is 4ms, just the download is rather low.

I'll hopefully post some pictures later, but an external CSP has been installed in the loft, and the ONT under the stairs, with the internal fibre running through the conduit we installed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2021, 08:26:41 PM »

Was at work earlier, so I will elaborate, BT engineer turned up yesterday afternoon, my brother ran through his preferred options, OR engineer almost insisted on an external install, but after consulting the forum (presumably some private OR Engineers forum) agreed to install the CSP in the loft (which is fully boarded), and then use the 10mm nylon pipe to feed the fibre from the ONT which is under the stairs to the loft.

He completed the internal install yesterday, but was not happy with running the fibre from my brothers current pole to the house, right next to my brothers house is a small side access to two bungalows, only really wide enough for cars, or small vans, could probably just about get a lorry up there but unlikely. He said the drop wire had to be 5.9 meters high - his existing drop wire has been up for decades. So he said he needed to connect to the pole down the road, which was closer but would require a cherry picker, which wasn't available until this morning. He also had to get permission to connect to the other pole.

So this morning they turned up and ran in the new drop wire, and was all working by mid to late morning sometime.

My brothers happy with the install, well apart from the odd download speed, pictures attached.

Out of curiosity what ONT is that?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »

Tidy job, glad it all went to plan and the OR engineer finally agreed to the install method.

Apologies if I'am being a bit "thick", just to clarify.
In the CSP photo I presume the drop wire is the thinner cable with the black clips?
So then the other line from the CSP is presumable a fibre jumber in black tubing to the ONT?
As I can't see where the CSP is in relation to the ONT although both obviously in the loft, wondering why the black (fibre) tubing appears to go down the same hole as the ethernet cable from ONT to router which is "under the stairs"?
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2021, 10:49:56 PM »

You're not being a bit thick, yes the thinner cable with black clips is the drop wire.

The CSP is in the loft, the ONT is under the stairs on the ground floor, between the two locations is 15 meters (it might have had a but cut off but not much) 10mm OD nylon tube, this is fed under the ground level floor across to the corner of the room, then from there it goes up two floors (ground floor + first floor) behind the plasterboard into the loft. Its the black tube with the white clips, the thin white cable is the fibre from the CSP to ONT.

The blue network cable goes under the floor and comes up to the router in the middle of the room where my brother has his desk.

Eventually when he sorts out all his junk, all the networking gear will go under the stairs, hence the need to get the ONT, as eventually will be a UPS as well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:52:15 PM by Ronski »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2021, 12:47:24 AM »

Out of curiosity what ONT is that?

That is a Nokia G-010G-Q:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2021, 11:09:14 AM »

@Ronski:
Many thanks for the clarification, all makes sense now.
The preparation work carried out has produced an excellent result once the OR engineer was persuaded to "buy in" with the CSP nice, dry and easily accessable in the loft as is the ONT under the stairs.
My confusion was assuming that the ONT was also in the loft!

Hope the current DS speed shortfall provision is resolved and your brother enjoys the new service.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2021, 07:32:41 PM »

There's still issues with the download speed, I advised him to set up a TBB ping monitor, and setup a scripted speed test to monitor it a regular intervals. At some point he'll have contact TT though.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »

My brothers resolved the issue, he turned on hardware acceleration in his Draytek router, now getting 480Mbps down.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2021, 06:43:24 PM »

Just seen on another thread that if you have ECI equipment in the exchange your speeds can be limited to 330/50 is this likely to be true here in Thanet  :no:  >:( if it is.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »

I've seen that before as well, but I've seen both 330 and 1000 speeds available, sometimes only a few houses apart, don't know if it's still the case as my IP address is blocked.

My brother in Ramsgate is on 500/75 with TT.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #283 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:28 AM »

Just seen on another thread that if you have ECI equipment in the exchange your speeds can be limited to 330/50 is this likely to be true here in Thanet  :no:  >:( if it is.

Stuart

Definitely not.
That's only applicable to older FTTP deployments.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #284 on: September 07, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »

John, do you think that none of our FTTP is connected to the older ECI exchange equipment like in this post?

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26303.0.html

I've seen speed estimates for local properties, some were 330, others were 1000, no idea if this is still the case though.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21