Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36541 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #255 on: July 15, 2021, 10:06:36 AM »

Thanks. I'll let him know.

Still no sign of our estate being done yet   :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2021, 08:53:41 PM »

Last night I helped my brother pull in a conduit from the loft to the ground floor, then another from there to where he wants the ONT, typical of my brother leaving things to the last minute.

Anyway all in ready for the install this morning, and an engineer from MJ Quinn's turns up (oh dear), needless to say my brothers install was not done. To be fair to the guy it was non standard which they are not allowed to do, there was also a neighbours TV aerial leaning against the telephone line (been like it for years - can be seen in 2009 Google streetview). Apparently they have to follow very rigorous install guidelines, and risk being penalised, or sacked if they don't. Turns out they only get £55 per install as well.

The engineer reported back to OR, who actually phoned my brother this afternoon and arranged another appointment for two weeks time, this time with an OR engineer, and apparently they are happy to use the conduits we installed, so no cables running down my brother pretty average looking house (hopefully) ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2021, 09:33:52 PM »

Have you installed pull-cord(s) in the conduit(s)?  :-\

And, having viewed it all with your experienced eye, can you see anything that would preclude (say) Black Sheep performing the install?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2021, 10:07:28 PM »

Not yet, but there will be a nylon pull cord available, which can be used once the conduit has been cut in the correct place, which we don't yet know - it will depend on the engineer.

So long as the drop wire fits in the conduit (8mm ID smooth wall) it should be possible to pull it down the soffit, through the conduit and back out at ground level. Then pull the internal run through from where the ONT is to be located.

There are currently various unknown, the engineer may fit an internal CSP, so any holes will be drilled on the day, and the conduit cut in the correct location. If the conduit is not suitable for the drop wire to run through, then it will just run externally.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2021, 10:28:06 PM »

Ah, I see (with my mind's eye) and will wait for your report on the next installation attempt.

Reviewing the last few posts, I've just noticed --

My brothers just signed up to TT home 500/75 for £35 a month, installation in 3 weeks time, he's decided to just get rid of the phone.

He has a Draytek router, presumably he can just plug that into the ONT?

Is there anything that needs setting up?

-- and --

Yes, Just configure PPPoE username and password on the router, then plug into the ONT and all will be good.

I seem to recall that TalkTalk do not use PPPoE but IPoE . . . Hmm. Perhaps j0hn or broadstairs will clarify the situation?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »

I'm on Talktalk FTTP 550/75
Definitely no PPP. It's IPoE/DHCP

Talktalk residential use IPoE on all their VDSL2, G.Fast and FTTP lines.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »

Is there a particular reason why most ISPs still use PPP?  It seems very inefficient and results in end users needing much beefier routers than otherwise necessary.

Is it just legacy in that it works backwards across all old connection methods so it was more cost effective to have a single piece of kit that terminates every connection rather than different ones depending on how the service was delivered?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2021, 06:28:42 AM »

I'm on Talktalk FTTP 550/75
Definitely no PPP. It's IPoE/DHCP

Talktalk residential use IPoE on all their VDSL2, G.Fast and FTTP lines.

Thanks John, have you got any information on how he needs to set up his Draytek router please?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:06 AM »

Thanks John, have you got any information on how he needs to set up his Draytek router please?

I've sent you a PM with some screenshots of my VDSL settings. Might give you an some ideas.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »

Much appreciated, thank you.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:54 AM »

Is there a particular reason why most ISPs still use PPP?  It seems very inefficient and results in end users needing much beefier routers than otherwise necessary.

Is it just legacy in that it works backwards across all old connection methods so it was more cost effective to have a single piece of kit that terminates every connection rather than different ones depending on how the service was delivered?

PPPoE requires a BRAS, while IPoE requires a BSR.
TTB EoFTTC connections use IPoE.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2021, 11:22:38 AM »

Doesn't really answer the question, though.

BT Wholesale use it to allow them to aggregate connections together and deliver them to ISPs via a variety of products.

TalkTalk Business use it for the same reason.

There are other options however that does need some work - only so many VLANs available and each customer has to be distinct so either need tons of interconnection points or some other way to separate individual customers.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »

I guess its a matter of time though?  I can't imagine the resources needed to run PPP on XGSPON.

In fact, I might actually have to test this by setting up a PPP server on my PC and trying various devices to see how fast they can go over it.

I know rp-pppoe is not efficient but 60% of a 9900k core at 4.7Ghz to hit 900Mbit, yikes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:56:59 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »

PPPoE requires a BRAS, while IPoE requires a BSR.

PPPoE, BRAS and IPoE are all in my vocabulary. However BSR is not . . . A search has revealed nothing (other than to remind me of Birmingham Sound Reproducers). Any hints, please?  :-\

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »

PPPoE, BRAS and IPoE are all in my vocabulary. However BSR is not . . . A search has revealed nothing (other than to remind me of Birmingham Sound Reproducers). Any hints, please?  :-\

Broadband Service Router

This is the actual equipment being used in our exchanges is it not?
https://documentation.nokia.com/html/0_add-h-f/93-0267-HTML/7X50_Advanced_Configuration_Guide/PPPoE-Hosts.html
https://infoproducts.nokia.com/html/0_add-h-f/93-0098-HTML/7750_SR_OS_Triple_Play_Guide/concepts_PPPoE.html

Which begs the question, does the PPP session terminate at the ISP or on Openreach (or is it BT Wholesale at this point) and they merely are able to lookup the login credentials from the ISP upstream?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:04:53 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21