Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36534 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2021, 09:54:54 AM »

Stuart, why not port the number to a VOIP service? You would then still have a physical phone. There's now a sub forum on here for VOIP.

We did away with our landline years ago, wife wasn't overly keen, but she could see the logic, we all have our own mobiles,  the transition was actually very easy. The only minor problem is that we can't use the ring back feature we had on the landline on the mobiles to get through to the doctor's, as it doesn't exist.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »

Stuart, why not port the number to a VOIP service? You would then still have a physical phone. There's now a sub forum on here for VOIP.

We did away with our landline years ago, wife wasn't overly keen, but she could see the logic, we all have our own mobiles,  the transition was actually very easy. The only minor problem is that we can't use the ring back feature we had on the landline on the mobiles to get through to the doctor's, as it doesn't exist.

Yes that's what I'll look into, I have time as my existing contract with TT runs till October and I have a pretty reliable 67mbps connection at present so I am not desperate.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »

My brothers just had a price rise on TalkTalk, so can exit his contract early, he can now order FTTP as its just gone live, although by the time he decides where to move to his 30 days window would have expired - he's notoriously bad at making decisions.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »

Next issue is how do I keep my existing phone number as they are selling data only? Can I port it somehow in advance to a phone only service or do I move to an ISP who does both VDSL with Phone and then upgrade?  What options are there?

Talktalk don't make it easy.
They don't sell landlines without broadband.
They don't sell FTTP with a landline.
In short if you want FTTP from Talktalk you must transfer your landline number elsewhere.

Migrating the landline number to VOIP will automatically cease the existing FTTC on the day the number transfers (usually 10 working days after ordering a migration).

Order FTTP from Talktalk. Once it's live then migrate the landline number to VOIP, ceasing the Talktalk FTTC.

Alternatively, find another provider.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »

Had the run around from TT Fibre phone line today who say it is not available despite showing many houses in my road and connected to the same cabinet as me. They even suggested calling BTOR but apart from being problematic there is little point when their address checker says it is available at my address. Total pl***ers and a waste of space and call!  >:(  >:(

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »

It's quite possibly not available via TT, if they don't have a cable link in place, then it won't be available. See the threads Tickmike has going as to why TT can supply FTTC but not FTTP on some exchanges.

Edit, have I misunderstood, and TT do show some in your street as FTTP available, but not yours?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »

Edit, have I misunderstood, and TT do show some in your street as FTTP available, but not yours?

That's correct quite a large number of properties show up but not mine!

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »

I've been trying to find out what TT are playing at with their checker but so far no luck. I've also checked a few other ISPs including BT and Zen and both say I can have FTTP so their records are correct but TTs are not.

Just one thought.... with all ths blocking os IP addresses by BTOR perhaps TT use a manual process and they have been blocked  ;) :blush:  :lol:

One thing the guy on their FTTP phone line did say when I said I needed a phone service as well as FTTP was that this might be available from TT by around August this year, now I don't know if there is any truth in this or whether this was just a sales pitch but just perhaps there is a grain of truth in it albeit VOIP rather that anything which would work in a power cut!

Stuart

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »

Talktalk haven't even trialled VOIP yet and still don't have hardware with a VOIP port.

I'd be amazed if they launched a VOIP product before 2022.
I'll eat my hat if it's released by August.

rmbles

« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »

I'm going with Zen because the big (non-BT players - TalkTalk/Voda/Sky) have to wait for an auction of space in the exchange before they can offer FTTP.  Apparently they don't know when this auction is, so they (Voda) let me out of the contract so i can go elsewhere.

Note, this is all just what Vodafone complaints dept told me and may be a load of rubbish.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »

Talktalk haven't even trialled VOIP yet and still don't have hardware with a VOIP port.

I'd be amazed if they launched a VOIP product before 2022.
I'll eat my hat if it's released by August.

As I said I thought it might be a sales pitch just for the sake of it.

I'm going with Zen because the big (non-BT players - TalkTalk/Voda/Sky) have to wait for an auction of space in the exchange before they can offer FTTP.  Apparently they don't know when this auction is, so they (Voda) let me out of the contract so i can go elsewhere.

Note, this is all just what Vodafone complaints dept told me and may be a load of rubbish.

Does not explain why they don't show my address but do my neighbours! I could understand it if they did not show any availability  but not random!

Since I have had no sensible feedback from TT on this I have emailed the TT CEO  ::)

Stuart

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »

It is rubbish.
If they already sell FTTC from the exchange then they don't need any further space to sell FTTP.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »

Well I just checked and TT have no updated their database and guess what my address and a whole load more in my post code now show up as having FTTP available. I know it is no use to me right now as I would lose my phone and migrating it to a VOIP service will lose my FTTC connection. Kind of a catch 22 situation. As I said I was not going to rush things until my contract nears its end. I need time to think and sort out what to do.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2021, 10:14:18 PM »

My brothers just signed up to TT home 500/75 for £35 a month, installation in 3 weeks time, he's decided to just get rid of the phone.

He has a Draytek router, presumably he can just plug that into the ONT?

Is there anything that needs setting up?

rmbles

« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2021, 07:35:19 AM »

Yes, Just configure PPPoE username and password on the router, then plug into the ONT and all will be good.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

anything