Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36542 times)

SlimJ

Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2021, 05:16:38 PM »

I am hoping I can get an escalation given the length of my current connection. They have started running the cables in Cliffsend this week and should get started on my end of the village next week. Though I imagine it takes a while before its signed off and the database is updated

I would imagine if they're running cables in Cliffsend over the course of the next month then it will probably be March/April time before things go live.

At least this pause in installations hopefully means more focus can be put towards network building!  My brother is due an FTTP installation in early February (new 'old' house purchase) so assume this could be delayed.

Wera

« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »

I had a stroll around the village at the weekend, but there wasn't much to see on the surface. They have dug some new trenches in Sandwich Road presumably for new ducts, I also saw a couple of guys pulling a cable out in Foads Lane, but no sign of any connectorised blocks hanging from the poles so far. The weather probably hasn't helped them though.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »

We had work this week in Crow Hill clearing ducts etc. Interesting thing is that there are 3 new houses being built in Crow Hill and next week BTOR are installing ducting from the pole outside to two of these properties. What I want to know is if this is an FTTP infrastructure install will it means any Crow Hill residents currently supplied from the same ducting only via poles get FTTP as well? I'd be really upset if they only supply FTTP to these 3 houses and not the rest of the post code. Bear in mind these new properties are not finished yet and only one has been provisionally sold.

As I was typing this there was a knock on the door and it was a BTOR guy wanting to now if I could move my car tomorrow as they are pulling fibre to the box beneath the pole. He said they are running a fibre 48 cable and putting a junction in the box. So it looks like this is primarily for these new properties. What I want to know is whether this also means in a few weeks we will be enable as well since we are all the same post code?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2021, 12:49:42 PM »

No - just because there's 'fibre there', doesn't mean you have automatic access to it.

You have to be part of a FTTP programme, and it sounds rather like the new build constructor may have paid for this work, unless the rules have changed around OR providing the infrastructure for free if there are 'x' amount of dwellings being built ??

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »

Stuart, one.network shows your area is awash with scheduled road works this week and next that are fibre related, you'll have it available soon enough I'm sure.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »

The thing is FTTP is being installed in this area anyway so the builder would be stupid to pay for it when it's happening anyway. We have had all the surveys done months ago.

Stuart

SlimJ

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »

I had a stroll around the village at the weekend, but there wasn't much to see on the surface. They have dug some new trenches in Sandwich Road presumably for new ducts, I also saw a couple of guys pulling a cable out in Foads Lane, but no sign of any connectorised blocks hanging from the poles so far. The weather probably hasn't helped them though.

Had a drive through Cliffsend last week but didn't really see any activity.  There are roadworks happening at the moment though so would imagine much of the work is just making sure ducts are ready before running cables and fitting the CBTs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »

The thing is FTTP is being installed in this area anyway so the builder would be stupid to pay for it when it's happening anyway. We have had all the surveys done months ago.

Stuart

I don't know if he has paid for it, it was imply a statement of what might be ?

Similarly, the builder may not be aware of any broadband FTTP uplift going on in the area, which wouldn't make him 'stupid' per-se ??

Who know what is going on and TBH ... it's between the client and the customer. As Ronski has pointed out, work is going on in the area under the FTTP banner. Sit back and let it happen.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »

Well yesterday they rolled up and installed 800m of Fibre 48 from the base of our pole to cabinet 10 in Dickens Road. Took all day, not helped by the initial van's hydraulics packing up and spilling stuff all over the road (which they cleared up). As far as I can tell this is a single run without any intermediate stuff being done in any other places in the pathway. I'm guessing that because of what has apparently been done this could well be at the behest of the builder, time will tell. Obviously at some stage this will become part of the overall roll out in Thanet, my contract for FTTC expires 19th October 2021 and I hope by then it will be live.

Looking at my stats for yesterday it does show some disruption on my upstream yesterday while the work was happening - some ES spikes but not that many. This is something I often see when they are working between here and the cabinet. Since G.INP went back on I don't usually see any errors on the d/s side.

Stuart

Wera

« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2021, 02:49:17 PM »

I am wondering whether once the blockages are sorted whether OpenReach still have to notify the local council to access their infrastructure? I dont see any planned roadworks now for my area for the foreseeable future. If they dont actually need to put up traffic management can they still carry out stuff like blowing fibre or string the cable from poles?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »

I am wondering whether once the blockages are sorted whether OpenReach still have to notify the local council to access their infrastructure? I dont see any planned roadworks now for my area for the foreseeable future. If they dont actually need to put up traffic management can they still carry out stuff like blowing fibre or string the cable from poles?

I'm not sure as I don't remember seeing anything about the fibre cable pulling on roadworks.org and yet today they had an entry to put in a duct but they finished that in a couple of hours and it was about 6 inches from the box in the pathway to where the builder had put his duct! I guess it all depends but on what I don't know!

Stuart

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2021, 04:46:05 PM »

If they dont actually need to put up traffic management can they still carry out stuff like blowing fibre or string the cable from poles?

My assumption would be they can blow fibre without it showing on roadworks as surely we would see a lot more reports on there if they couldn't?

On the other hand I've seen plenty on roadworks where it points out "no highway incursion expected" or something like that, so honestly I'm not 100% certain.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Wera

« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »

A swarm of Openreach Engineers appeared this afternoon in my road. They needed to lift the lid on the chamber I guess to confirm there was a rope? (five properties in a cul de sac are all fed by duct) So I tackled them about progress. They seemed pretty optimistic and said a matter of weeks. They probably don't get many nerds who are interested in ducts and cbt's so they were happy to show me a tablet with the routing of the new fibre. I currently have vdsl from BT down a lossy length of aluminium and 4g from 3 so this is excellent news  My 4G contact with 3 expires at the end of the month so I haven't bothered renewing. I am going to try Smarty on a month by month basis since the actual fibre provision may still be months away.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »

Wera where abouts approximately are you in the area?

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2021, 07:13:29 PM »

Wera's in the Cliffsend area I believe.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

anything