Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36551 times)

dog-man

Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »

I am in modem mode also.

SlimJ

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2020, 12:21:51 PM »

Noticed a little more has gone live around Northwood and up towards the Lidl area.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »

That's good, have you emailed Think Broadband so they update the map?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

SlimJ

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2020, 01:47:42 PM »

Not yet... Sometimes I feel that we're emailing him every 5 minutes and he may not appreciate it!!  :D

It was these, CT126SJ, CT126SE, CT126QB - I have a list of codes I check every now and then but these were new ones I've checked, probably more around this area too.  Unsure if any other areas have gone live yet?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:50:18 PM by SlimJ »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »

I did find one a week or so ago, but didn't think it worth emailing for just one, which I see is in your list.

CT12 6QB (187 - 203)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »

I was chatting to one of the guys working on the new builds in Crow Hill and asked him if he knew anything about the ducting Black Sheep mentioned but he did not. What puzzled me is that B/S mentioned feeding 2 of the 3 houses from Crow Hill but only one is actually facing Crow Hill, the other two (one of which is not even started yet) are both facing Linden Avenue. Also puzzled as to why they duct these new builds when we are all here in both roads fed from overhead cables on the poles. It would make more sense to me to have both the Linen Avenue houses fed from Linden Avenue and the one on Crow Hill from Crow Hill but perhaps that is too easy  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »

Most new-builds will be fed UG ... that is the preferred method these days.

My observations on the new ducts, were based upon the survey tool that ALL surveyors use when building splitter-nodes. It is where 'Work Orders' are built from and where estimates are created from, it is THE only survey tool they use. Yes, in-life changes can occur, but 99% of the time the way it is surveyed is the way it will be built.

I'd go so far as to say it makes perfect sense as well, with what it shows regarding the duct runs.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »

I am puzzled as to why they get a duct when the pole is actually outside the new house on Crow Hill, it is literally by the boundary between the new house and 30 Crow Hill and there is a box in the pathway right next to the base of the pole.

It makes sense to install ducting while building a new build, even if the homes either side are fed from a pole, even if the pole is in the back garden of the new build.
The cost for OpenReach to provide the ducting to the builders is a couple quid.
That's a home that should never need an engineer who has been trained to work at heights.
It's as easy as rodding or pulling a bit string to upgrade it to fibre or to replace the drop cable in the future.

All the town's around my area (including my town) is ducted down the main roads and the final drop is overhead via telegraph poles in the back gardens.
Every home has an overhead drop but driving around you can't see any poles as they are all in back gardens.
There's loads of random single new builds built on patches of previously unused land in between existing homes.
All the new builds appear ducted. I don't think any are overhead fed.

There's a good example of this at the end of my street.
There's 8 homes fed by a single telegraph pole. The pole was originally on a piece of derelict land with 4 homes on either side.
Around 8 years ago a new home was built on the derelict land, meaning the telegraph pole is now in the back garden of the new home.
The new home is ducted back to a junction box on the street behind it rather than being fed from the pole in the garden.

Why not feed it from the pole?

Why do feed it from the pole?

Unless it's just a feeder pole and there's nowhere to connect ducts back to, i can't think of any good reasons to use overhead feeds over underground ducts for a final drop.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »

OK so ducts are the way it's done now.

However I don't understand why they are ducting two houses from the same chamber in one road when only one house is in that road, this means that the duct for house two is run under the garden for house one! It makes more sense to duct house 1 from the road it is facing and the other two houses from the other road they are facing and then no one has to have ducting under their garden which has nothing to do with their supply, especially as they will be ducting house 3 from that other road anyway!

I have a vested interest in not having more disturbers connecting to my circuit than necessary, this way there will be two new houses connected via the box in the footpath outside my house rather than one  ;)

I know this all sounds a tad strange to those not knowing the area but the situation is that the plot of land went between two roads and two houses will be fronting one road and one house fronts the other road.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »

I know this all sounds a tad strange to those not knowing the area but the situation is that the plot of land went between two roads and two houses will be fronting one road and one house fronts the other road.

I suspect that j0hn has done exactly the same as me and made a careful study of Google Maps & the images from the "Street View" car. With your added comments it is all quite clear.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »

It's nice to wonder how it may pan out ... but I can tell you in no uncertain terms, there will be ductwork going from the box at the base of DP92 on Crow Hill, to a new JF4 outside what they are calling premises A1, from here it is then ducted directly to premises A3. So, two premises will be fed via Crow Hill.

Premises A2 will be fed via Linden Av and will see two new JF4's built on either side of the road, as the duct will run up to No.16 Linden Av, then cross the road .... then into A2 premises.

No overhead, all underground. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »

Can someone please clarify the terminology here? What are DP92 and JF4?

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »

JF4 is a foot way box, or chamber, I presume 4 is reference to the size https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4566921-bt-openreach-markings-next-to-pcp-and-fiber-cabinet.html?fpart=all

DP92 is a distribution pole, I think the number may be marked on the pole.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »

JF4 is a foot way box, or chamber, I presume 4 is reference to the size https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4566921-bt-openreach-markings-next-to-pcp-and-fiber-cabinet.html?fpart=all

DP92 is a distribution pole, I think the number may be marked on the pole.

Thanks, I had guessed about the pole, when it is not raining I'll take a close look at the pole to see if it's marked.

Stuart

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »

Can someone please clarify the terminology here? What are DP92 and JF4?

Stuart

My apologies ... I incorrectly assumed you'd been on this forum long enough to have heard and understood the terminology, with regard to plant references. If it was a noobie, I'd have gone into further detail.

Ron has hit the nail on the head, and to expand further .... each distribution point (DP) whether it be overhead (pole), underground (joint box) or external (wall mounted block), has a unique reference number. They should be nailed-on plastic circular discs on the poles, but they sometimes can be missing over the years.

JF is an abbreviation of jointbox footway (we obviously have carriageway boxes too) ..... there are many and varied jointboxes, but the most common are JB23 (small rectangular cove), JB26 (slightly larger rectangular cover), JF4 (1 square cover), JF6 (2 square covers, JF10 (3 square covers).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21