Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36558 times)

Wera

Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »

The trouble is they rip the fibre out as well,  some times they just can't tell the difference, and even if they could it would get dragged out along with the copper.
If they ever rip out mine I will derive some satisfaction from the how little they will earn when they try and flog it only to find its worthless aluminium.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »

If they ever rip out mine I will derive some satisfaction from the how little they will earn when they try and flog it only to find its worthless aluminium.

Having recently taken some to the local scrap yard i can assure you Aluminium isn't worthless.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

rmbles

« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »

I'm in College Road (margate road end) and keep seeing the fibre boxes either tied round poles or actually mounted to them within a few hundred yards of my house.
It looks like my copper comes in underground though as there's no telegraph feeding me.

Any idea how long it is from fibre black boxes going up on poles to actually being able to order a FTTP service?
Also - initially is it only available from BT or would Voda/TalkTalk/etc be able to offer the service too?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »

Hi rmbles, welcome to the forums.

It can be weeks or many months or more, no telling really. Top of my brothers road went live ages ago, yet the bottom end hasn't. I'm pretty sure those supplied overhead will be live quicker than those fed underground. We are also underground fed  :(

Once live, you should be able to order from any ISP that sells an FTTP service, there are some exceptions if the ISP doesn't have the required cable links at the exchange, but I suspect with the size of Ramsgate that shouldn't be a problem.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

SlimJ

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2020, 01:24:34 PM »

As Ronski says, could be weeks or months, but more and more of the network in Ramsgate is going live now with some also going live in Broadstairs.

You can see the map of live areas here (just note that this isn't bang up to date - it's more than likely that some new areas have gone live recently): https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=2&election=1#14/51.3486/1.4144/geafttp/

dog-man

« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »

I noticed that some sort of works was going on in Osborne Road, Broadstairs this morning. I couldn't work out what they were doing, but they ended up doing something at the base of a telegraph pole.
Their lorry was blocking my view.

Now, I notice that right at the base of the pole there is a sign saying "Morrison Telecom Services" and a couple of yellow plates across the pavement with barriers around it.
So, I assume that this company is subcontracted by Open Reach to do the work of making FTTP available.
Does anyone know if this is the case?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »

Yes it is work for the fttp roll out - the works are shown on https://one.network/ Sounds like they are replacing the duct to the pole.

Junction of Osborne Road on Manor Road

Description:

BROADSTAIRS V6123 - PON D12879 - BLOCKAGES – Excavate onto BT ducts for the clearance of duct blockages in FOOTWAY to facilitate spine cabling works.

dog-man

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »

That's good to know. I wonder how soon before it reaches the point of going live?

Last time I checked that site for roadworks there was nothing listed in Osborne Road. Must have appeared very recently.

I am getting excited now. :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »

Once the duct's are clear they will need to pull the fibre and install at the top of the pole, will be a while longer yet, as to how long, no one knows.

dog-man

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »

My telescope is now fixed on that pole. :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »

You want to be careful with comments like that  ;)

Just remember that they will do more than just your pole before it goes live, but safe to say you can start getting excited  ;D

SlimJ

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »

I wonder how soon before it reaches the point of going live?

Probably likely to be a Christmas present! ;)

Seems like much of the road work part is completed in Ramsgate now as most of the roadworks are moving on to Broadstairs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »

Certainly seems to be plenty planned in Broadstairs now, but none on my estate yet. :( Some around the out skirts on the main roads though. Our estate is ducted to the chambers, but if my house is anything to go by then the connection to the property is direct in ground.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »

Just checked and there are planned works in or near Crow Hill for Jan 2021 for fibre related works  ;D  Maybe live in time for my current contract which ends next year!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »

SlimJ, good luck on your CFP, keep us all updated on how you get on.

Stuart hopefully as your all on poles yours should be pretty straightforward, and quite likely those scheduled works are for the actual installation of the fibre by the way they read.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21