Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs  (Read 36582 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« on: February 28, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »

Ramsgate and Broadstairs has been on the Fibre First map for many months now as build in progress. I know they've been doing parts of Ramsgate due to the notes on work permits.

But this morning I've opened the curtains to see white arrows pointing away from every BT chamber cover, presumably showing where ducts are, although I always thought we were direct in ground, but perhaps that's just the cable to the house.

My wife just called me a sad git, so I said look at all the little white arrows, isn't it exciting  :lol:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre First rollout Ramsgate and Broadstairs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »

There's a company call Cat Surveys surveying the ducts, and spaying little white arrow's  ;D

Can't believe it takes at least five men to do that though.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »

So if this happens here then do we expect to have the same level of disruption in our streets as we had with VIM installing fibre? Seems totally daft to me to have two competing fibre solutions rolled out in the same area if the disruption is the same. If they intend to use existing ducts what happens to the final part to the premises, will it be from existing poles with some kind of added distribution box on the pole?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »

Existing poles / ducts if they can, else they'll dig new microduct and tees, much as VM do, however using existing ducts as much as possible and spurring off from them.

It could involve entirely new dig across the entire length of the pavement, though, depending on condition of existing plant and options to reuse.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »

They were rodding and roping our ducts, ours is all underground, and from the pavement to property is direct in ground.

More than happy to put up with some disruption if it means we can get fttp as well, gives lots of options.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:16:58 AM »

;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »

The concern I have is that ducts in our road are quite old and we have poles for the final bit, in the past I had issues with my phone line which were resolved by messing about in the manholes because of old cables and water ingress which has not been an issue since but I do wonder if my existing line will survive new fibre cables being pulled through the existing ducts. I know they would have to fix it but could do without the disruption were it to happen.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »

They'll replace the drop cable with a hybrid copper/fibre cable.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

Stuart, at least with your line being overhead you won't face the issues you would have had with Virgin. You can always switch to a VoIP solution over fibre as well

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »

They'll replace the drop cable with a hybrid copper/fibre cable.

Do they build a new chamber at the bottom of the pole as mine doesn't appear to have any access to the duct at the pole?

I'm also seeing quite a few jobs pop up for one-way polyduct and new chambers, many outside of the exchange coverage area but I figure they may be planning to run the fibre from my exchange out further than it currently covers for phone lines?  This would make sense as its one of the bigger exchanges in the city so if they over-build from it, once copper is gone they could close the smaller exchanges.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:10 PM »

NB: FTTP build guidelines are to use existing duct, boxes and poles in the first instance.

If the TRR (Test, Rod & Rope) results return an inordinate amount of A55's (civils work), the 'civils avoidance' planning will play a part. If this means feeding a UG premises overhead, then so be it .... but it is a last resort.

As Carl mentions, Gabicom multi-tubing is also an option for FTTP provision, it all depends on what the survey produces and what the TRR results return as to how we will proceed ??.

To answer Stuarts question, yes ..... the CBT (Connectorised Block Terminal) will be placed on the pole if an overhead feed is in place. These are 4/8/12 port devices, so there may be more than one installed dependant on the amount of premises it feeds.

Alex, again yes .... if it requires a JUF2 building at the bottom of the pole, then it will be built.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »

Can FTTC be upgraded to FTTP? as I understand that one part is already done (fiber from exchange to the cabinet) and the other part is replacing the remaining copper distance to buildings and homes with fiber cables, I believe some things need to be changed in the cabinet for that but the existing fiber used for FTTC would still be used.. am I right  :hmm: ?

I am from another country where there are no poles and everything is ducted for phone lines / FTTC

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »

Yes, that is possible, and is actually available in UK as FTTP on demand, mainly offered to business customers, however if your pocket is deep enough this can be done for home users as well, just expensive.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 08:01:11 PM »

It is "FTTP on Demand" and does not come from the fibre at the FTTC cabinet but from a nearby (hopefully) Fibre Aggregation Node which links back to the exchange. As it is a custom installation prices can be high, 10K to 20K GBP or more unless the node is very close in which case you may pay under 10K so not generally economically viable for residential customers. :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

anything