Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach PON design  (Read 2919 times)

adrenalize

Openreach PON design
« on: November 10, 2021, 11:23:19 PM »

The area where I live is currently at the Openreach FTTP stage of having the fibre pulled and CBTs fitted in footway boxes. (A retro fit I think as the rest of the village is not in plan yet).

The footway box serving my house has a copper DP for the 3 houses right at the end of the no through road.

When the fibre has been pulled they haven't pulled it to my footway box (and I think they have finished as not been back for a while) - although it was roped previously at the rod and rope stage and the surveyor popped the cover on a couple of occasions.

My question is when the PON is designed do they generally replicate the copper DPs - or may they have fitted a bigger CBT in the footway box prior to mine and when I order the connectorised tail will be fed back to there? A 12 way CBT probably would serve all the properties down our end all with a max 50m tail. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to have a chat or a nose with the engineers when the fitted the CBT in the previous footway box.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach PON design
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »

All PON's have a Ghost Plan (blueprint) created at the initial stage of planning. This quite quickly, can change intto a different animal when the on-site surveyor performs his manual checks and submits his final survey results.

In answer to your question, yes ... OR follow the copper footprint as much as they can, but if it's far more frugal to re-site a larger sized CBT then they will do. It could quite easily be down to duct capacity as well.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »

When they pulled our village fibre in, when they came down our 'Private' lane, I gave them a gentle reminder that I need a CBT in my  UG underground chamber for my underground feed.
Hey-presto I have my own 4 x CBT :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

adrenalize

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »

Thanks, yes it would make sense, they could probably consolidate 3 footway copper DPs into a single CBT guessing at the layout and number of properties.

Just a bit more work for the install teams when people order later ;D

Yeah, I was keeping an eye out when I saw them rod and roping as our DP is hidden away at the end of a path but they found it OK.

I'm not too concerned with timescales as I am just happy to be lucky and on the road for FTTP, but for the timescale spotters:

I think maybe some initial survey in July 2021 (unless unrelated activity near the FTTC cab / possible splitter in footway)
Rod and rope 11th August 2021 (actually by a civils company who commented they usually do duct clearance - also said no blockages except a bit of grunt needed on our f/way box!)
Cable pulling and probably CBTs fitted 4th November (Telent I think)

Both times just 2 days to do the estate of about 60 houses + 20 apartments (I didn't see if they were actually provisioning the MDU though). Good job Openreach :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 08:19:04 PM »

Would appear to be a lot of variation of UG fibre installations seemingly dependant on the OR (or other provider) sub-contractor involved.
My local area was fully "fibred" by OR sub-contractor at the beginning of this year, all UG distribution as per existing copper POTS network.
4 detached bungalow's on the designated CBT which is situated in the footway chamber outside my front garden wall.
The existing POTS DP is situated outside my adjacent neighbours house, middle of a group of 3 bungalow's with UG armoured copper cable exiting from there, all DIG.

The 4th bungalow in this group is on the other side of the road and it has been exclusively trenched and ducted from the CBT chamber with a Toby box fitted at the property border.
Other than the existing incoming & onward feeding ducts, there are no other exits from the footway chamber which contains the fibre CBT, no Toby boxes have been installed on this side of the road.
Contractors may have (perhaps conveniently) overlooked the fact that the existing POTS DP footway chamber does have a ducted exit to the 3 properties on that side of the road but only goes as far as the edge of the garden where the cables are then DIG.
Not uncommon I believe for properties of 35/40 year vintage.

Neither myself or the 3 other parties have gone FTTP as yet so can't comment further, will likely find out soon as my current FTTC contract is up next month.
As BS has said, a job for the OR surveyor/planner when orders are placed, will be interesting to see the installation method deployed.
On the few FTTP installations observed in this small area to date, the fibre has been very shallow trenched across the gardens and fed directly through the property walls very similar to Virgin cable installation methods.
The FTTP take up has been very slow as cable service has been available for many years.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 07:52:02 AM »

Hi tiffy

For info purposes, the premises should have been fully surveyed at/and during the PON build. Ergo, the 3 x premises you mention whose duct only extend 'box-to-curtilage', wont have been overlooked.

OR's remit is (as mooted), to overlay the FTTP network following the copper footprint as close as is possible, barring grey areas. That means the infrastructure 'job' if you like, stops at the CBT. What the on-site surveyor will capture though are 'Survey Network Notes' markers against each individual premises ....... ie: overhead span no issues, overhead span through trees, overhead span road crossing, underground cable no duct ..... etc etc ..... there are lots of different markers.

These SNN files are loaded up at the final commissioning stage, so that when the PON becomes CRFS (Customer Ready For Service), the ISP's and the Stage 1 OR engineers who are performing the work, know what they are going into. It makes for a better customer experience.

Cheers.

adrenalize

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 10:09:45 PM »

So just to conclude now I have gone live.

Timeline for anyone interested - housing estate built approx 2006 circa 80 properties done under retrofit new(ish) sites I believe.

July 2021                     I think maybe some initial survey (unless unrelated activity near the FTTC cab / possible splitter in footway)
11th August 2021         Rod and rope (actually by a civils company who commented they usually do duct clearance - also said no blockages except a bit of grunt needed on our f/way box!)
4th November 2021      CBTs fitted 4th November (Telent I think)
5th December 2021      Pulling fibre to splitters
8-10th December 2021 Splicing
17th December 2021    One splitters worth ~30 properties Customer Ready For Service - on the BT Wholesale checker
30th December 2021    Remeaining properties CRFS (just a few in an MDU not available and probably not in plan)

My install went well, Openreach engineer and did a neat and tidy job. Replaced the cover 101a with the CSP and came through the same hole (probably helped the master socket was not directly over the hole), using a customer lead in and just along a little way to the ONT. Very happy as I've seen some pics of pretty poor installs on the forums!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:13:17 PM by adrenalize »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 10:48:38 PM »

All looks very neat. (But I won't ask about the old knocks in the internal plaster-work.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 12:31:38 AM »

My install went well, Openreach engineer and did a neat and tidy job. Replaced the cover 101a with the CSP and came through the same hole (probably helped the master socket was not directly over the hole), using a customer lead in and just along a little way to the ONT. Very happy as I've seen some pics of pretty poor installs on the forums!

Only thing I would ponder is it looks like the ducting is covering a building air vent?  That doesn't seem good.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adrenalize

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »

Yeah the plaster does need tidying up  :-[ a legacy of the "pram parking spot" a few years back. There's a bench seat in front now so I keep forgetting to do it.

Yes the elephant's foot does partially cover a cavity weep drain, not ideal and courtesy of good ol' Persimmon I guess when they laid the duct without much/any thought. Given the main function is to drain water and it doesn't sit tight over it it's not a significant issue and quite a lot of work to change!

There probably should have been more duct coming out of the ground as it is level with the tarmac path and enter the building higher up. At least the duct comes out the ground - looking at lots of houses on the estate many of ducts are burried in borders or under block paving - so mine wasn't any hassle for the engineer.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 03:49:53 PM »

Its amazing how little attention people pay to their gardens/driveways.  I see a few local houses where the front garden slopes towards the house so they used to have drains at the house wall, some in converting to driveways got rid of them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything