Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Unveil 29 New UK Areas for FTTP  (Read 4527 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Unveil 29 New UK Areas for FTTP
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

Presumably Fibre First means, aim to do most if not all the exchange area with FTTP.
Infill meaning they cherry-pick specific areas that need improvement but NOT with an aim to do everwhere on that exchange?

No - it means specific areas where there's no VDSL, such as exchange only areas, where Virgin Media are stealing their lunch as here, where CityFibre are on the way, or where other commercial reasons make the option more attractive.

They are overbuilding a G.fast pod here that went live back in September.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »

Ramsgate and Broadstairs were announced quite a while ago, I've seen some road works scheduled in Ramsgate which certainly appears to be FTTP related, but nothing in Broadstairs apart from a welfare unit which is sited near me.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »

>> smaller infill build going on outside the Fibre First areas.

That's what was strange, there is no other Full fibre around here.  Definitely not infill.

It's a peninsula with only 2 main roads in.  Where they are laying the cable from is also weird as its doesn't appear to be coming down the road which leads to the head-end exchange, but instead straight down the other road which (eventually) ends up towards the M6.   
If I check addresses near my headend exchange it says "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet."
However, the other side of the river (which is rural) - if I check a friends house there, it says "coming soon" for him too.    In fact that particular area is considered so rural you are heading towards B4RNland. 

Totally guessing here, but after checking addresses in various locations, I think we may be picking up on the tail-end for what is a rural deployment.   It may be easier for them to come straight down a main road towards us and across the bridge..  rather than approach it from the other side with miles of nothing and leading to areas already covered by B4RN.  From info available we have been clustered with a couple of other rural area exchanges "coming soon" which only have one 'A' road nearby - the south end of which starts at the bridge and north ends at Lancaster.   
I could be wrong, but thinking about it further and and taking into account those other exchange locations they are covering, then they have to be taking the fibre to those areas across a bridge which wasn't built at the time of the old back-hauls were in place.    There was previously a privately owned rickety toll bridge, but the local authority since built a proper road crossing in the mid 90's.

I thought they may perhaps have put in a node near @g3uiss's exchange but obviously not, as I cant see anything showing for him :/..  so this appears to be  about rural deployment rather than urban.

Looking at the map at https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first after selecting any location it will show fibre first planned locations etc., but there's nothing showing for your area (IIRC), perhaps its just not updated yet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:12:28 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »

Not the case.

It does not show FTTP deployment related to BDUK, new sites, and other small scale infill.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »

Not the case.

I think my area was previously done on BDUK

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57:40 PM »

I added the bold.

It's more about cost per premises to pass with FTTP and not much to do with areas that need improvement.

Most infill FTTP work is simply cheap and quick to reach, which tends to be urban areas.
These areas usually have at least SuperFast speeds already.

My area is not Fibre First or BDUK work and I'm getting FTTP.
Every single property getting FTTP already has FTTC over 30Mb/s with most nearer 70-80Mb/s.

Every property getting infill FTTP around me has just had Virgin rolled out to the area.
This is more than likely part of the reason for OpenReach doing FTTP, competition.
The fact my area is new and fully ducted makes it much cheaper for OpenReach.

At the end of the day OpenReach is a private company out to make money.
They will continue to roll out to the cheapest/easiest to reach areas.
They will hold off for funding/subsidies for areas that are not commercially profitable which says often areas that actually need improving.

There is also other factors aside from this.

My area has all of the following.

VM cable
Cityfibre FTTP
High density properties
Urban

Yet its not in plans (or at least on checker and announced plans) for FTTP, and the local cabinets have no signs of g.fast work either.  So Openreach dont seem to see any urgency here.

However look at other factors that may not be so obvious, but possibly relevant.

Labour council area
City with lowest average salary
Some businesses in area mixed in with residential.
Very high take up of VM vs xDSL services. (13 out of 16 visible AP's near me are VM, driving/walking down local street's shows heavy VM dominance of further AP's).

All speculative reasons, but are possible factors.

My area also didnt get VDSL until my MP intervened (she was board member of BT).

Now take into account rural Leicestershire.

Lower population density.
Tory council areas.
Much higher wealth.

They got VDSL without MP intervention about 2 years earlier than the city of Leicester.
They have planned FTTP although not via normal commercial openreach rollout.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »

I think things like the average salary of local residents or which political party runs the council mean diddly squat.

I live in what was built as a council estate, in a former mining community.
For a number of years the town I live in topped some charts that nobody would be proud of including high deprivation, highest teenage pregnancy rates in the country and below average earnings.

VM have completely skipped a large number of local new developments (ranging from 2-20 years old) and have instead installed almost exclusively to the older, lower income areas.

OpenReach's FTTP that's coming also ignores the more affluent areas around me.

The FTTC rollout here was the opposite to what your experienced with most poorer areas getting FTTC early in 2012 and some of the more affluent areas not getting FTTC till 2017-18.

OpenReach have always been the only operator in my entire county until VM came to parts in 2017.

Even poor Labor voters buy broadband.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:37:41 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »

People who are loaded tend to be doing other things with their time than things demanding on broadband networks.

CityFibre don't have an FTTP presence in Leicester - they've a metronet there and deliver to some businesses from it but as far as I'm aware don't have a large build in progress?

I'd consider moving if Leicester is getting no love. One of the more affluent villages outside of it sounds good.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »

You can definitely order business services from it, I checked from giganet who use their network.

I also had free install as well since it's already under my street.

The larger build as you said I think has not started yet, which would be when vodafone start to sell the consumer service.

Also yes I am planning on moving finally, not just for this reason though but for others as well, mainly that I actually want a change of scenery and quieter area.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:01:36 PM by Chrysalis »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »

It's good that CityFibre are selling those kinds of connection. They have really shaken up the broadband market in this country.

FTTP feels so slow at rolling out. But according to the Thinkbroadband site currently 50,000 connections a week are being installed across all FTTP providers. So I guess in a few years they will be approaching the 50% mark.

My FTTC connection is slowly dying. Hopefully I won't be at sub ADSL2+ speeds before FTTP reaches me  :fingers:
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »

Anyone got any ideas when Balham might get FTTP?
Pages: 1 [2]