Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ofcom: Email provision after switching ISP  (Read 1611 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Ofcom: Email provision after switching ISP
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »

Considering the number of people that post entitled comments about how everything should be free while using Adblockers

the use of adblockers is usually not linked to those that "want everything for free".
however that has nothing to do with the topic.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »

Interesting this topic got some time on BBC4 money box. You can listen to the Podcast( yesterday). Apparently OFCOM are getting involved in this and associated costs.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »

the use of adblockers is usually not linked to those that "want everything for free".
however that has nothing to do with the topic.

We were discussing the mentality of people, how they want everything for nothing and just don't understand the reality of how every service they use costs money.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »

To be fair, I think it’s worth clarifying that there are three separate flaws here, in the reasoning of people who want free continuation of email after switching ISP...

1)  They can’t count on it being free.   It’ll cost the old ISP money, even if just peanuts, and the old ISP might want to recover that cost, which is not unreasonable.

2)  They can’t count on it, full stop, even as a paid service.   Email addresses depend upon a domain name, and domain names are transient.   As I mentioned earlier, even Google might one day stop renewing ‘gmail.com’.   Might sound unlikely but all companies come and go, and Alphabet will eventually go.

3)  They have Ofcom on their side, which they think will prove them right.  It won’t, Ofcom seem to have no skills or understanding whatsoever in the technology of telecommunications, especially internet access.  Just like  companies, government agencies come and go. :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything