Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VM Mis-selling?  (Read 711 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
VM Mis-selling?
« on: March 02, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »

I've just been reading this story in the DM: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8065117/Virgin-Media-signed-dementia-sufferer-680-TV-package-watches-BBC-ITV.html

Virgin Media has been branded 'unscrupulous' after selling a high-tech package to a 'confused' dementia-suffering pensioner who only watches two TV channels.

Apparently this happened when a pop up came on his tv offering a deal to purchase new channels, even though he only had a phone account with them. The way it was worded made the guy think he had to call VM to keep his existing setup. But during the call the VM people sold him a £681 fibre package even though he only watched 2 channels on freeview.. and VM had been told at least 5 times by his daughter that the guy has dementia.

VM admitted it hadn't updated its records and agreed to offer 6 months of the 12 month contract for free as a 'gesture of goodwill'. This as been accepted by the family.

But maybe excuse my own ignorance on this topic. But I thought a contract can't be legally binding when someone has dementia? How is the contract valid? VM admit they hadn't updated their information, so they must have acknowledged they were told about it. But even if nobody told them and it was proven he had dementia before he agreed to the contract, surely that's proof that the contract is invalid?

His daughter even has power of attorney over him. So again how is the contract valid?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: VM Mis-selling?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 03:10:07 PM »

The story says 'As a gesture of goodwill we have offered six months' free service which has been accepted', which I read as they've cancelled the contract and given 6 months of his existing service for free (but that is open to interpretation).
Still outrageous behaviour though >:(.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »

typical daily mail story really.

"outraged" story which suitable headline - tick
classic photo in the daily mail style - tick

mistake was made and has been rectified to the customers satisfaction. total non-story from start to finish.
only surprise is they didn't find a way to mention brexit.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:38:32 PM »

The story says 'As a gesture of goodwill we have offered six months' free service which has been accepted', which I read as they've cancelled the contract and given 6 months of his existing service for free (but that is open to interpretation).
Still outrageous behaviour though >:(.

If they have cancelled the contract and offered 6 months of his existing service for free then thats a good thing. I was reading it that he was still having to pay for the other 6 months of the contract he didn't need.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »

Although I am not a huge fan of the Daily Fail I do not agree it's a non-story. The fact that they did this having been told about the person in question having dementia and failed in their processes to make sure it was recorded is in my view a valid story, totally unacceptable behaviour by VM.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »

but it was resolved to the customers satisfaction - so not entirely sure why it even needs published in a national "news"paper.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »

Because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »

mistakes happen, and the mistake was rectified to the customers satisfaction.
if it hadn't been rectified then there is a valid excuse for such a story to be published.
it's just the usual daily mail story

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »

I disagree, people need to be warned to keep an eye on this happening to their family members.

I've heard too many stories of how utterly useless their call centre is to trust this is an isolated incident.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »

VM have a lot of form in this.  They’re frequently featured in the Guardian’s/Observer’s ‘Your Problems’ and ‘Consumer Champions’ columns with similar stories of shonky sales tactics:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/virginmedia

We’ve had first-hand experience after we contacted them to cancel my father-in-law’s contract after he died.  Their staff kept asking to speak to the account holder several times, despite being told in no uncertain terms that he’d recently died. Eventually we ended up being put through to someone else who kept telling us they could do a great deal for Mr Williams if we didn’t cancel.  Had my wife sobbing down the phone.

Eventually fought out way through their complaints procedure until it was resolved by apparently their only member of staff with a shred of heart in them.

I could never in good conscience take up any of their services until these sorts of stories have stopped for good and they begin earning a reputation for competent customer services.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.