Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Who's on FTTP, how is the reliability, are we missing xDSL?  (Read 11831 times)

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Who's on FTTP, how is the reliability, are we missing xDSL?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »

@CarlT
Have you gone for the 500 Mb or 1000 Mbps FTTP service on BT? Very competitive prices, IMHO. I suspect RevK would have to say goodbye to luxury around-the-world cruises if AAISP were to charge similar prices  ;D

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:33:25 PM by psychopomp1 »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »

- Do BT Retail generally have a similar high quality customer support experience compared to AAISP, when it's needed?
ISP support becomes almost irrelevant on FTTP.

- Do BT Retail offer 12 month or 1 month contracts for FTTC or FTTP?
The best prices are usually on longer contracts, so for many a 12/18/24 month contract won't be an issue as long as they're getting a good deal.

- Do BT Retail offer static IPv4 address(es)?
Fair point.

- Do BT Retail have a similar set of options to choose from in their user control panel?
Most people just want a solid & reliable internet connection. "options" will be irrelevant.

- Do BT Retail have somewhat detailed graphs indicating the state of the connection?
Again almost irrelevant on FTTP. But you can setup a free BQM on Thinkbroadband or similar site.

- Do BT Retail have something like an IRC channel where others can potentially ping members of staff day or night (as long as they are around)?
ISP support becomes almost irrelevant on FTTP.

- Does BT Retail not potentially traffic shape at peak times if they happen to experience congestion in some part of their network? In other words do they have no potential traffic shaping policy in place these days (been a long time since I was on BT so I might be wrong about this point)?
This is 2020, not 2005. None of the major ISPs traffic shape anymore.

- Do BT Retail support bonding like AAISP offers?
Bonding on FTTP?  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:56:22 PM by psychopomp1 »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »

As you asked I took 900 with Halo 2. I was on 300 with Halo 1 and the upgrade on Halo carries a few options that are beneficial.

Goes live Tuesday.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »

Have to admit, £59.99 for 1Gbit.... gimmie! Oh wait...
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »

It will be indeed the end of an era. People will have to find new hobbies and other things to do with their time.

Most of the vast knowledge people have acquired relating to DSL will be completely worthless, and as we simply can't chose to forget this knowledge, or reclaim the memory  space it's claimed in our neurons, this will be a depressing thought for many. We'll only have access to the same troubleshooting steps as Joe average (turn it on and off), as opposed to the multitude of xDSL related troubleshooting steps we can do now.

History has shown us that there will be some that will cling to xDSL for as long as possible, similar to when some folk refused to stop cooking with wooden fires when electic/gas ovens came about. Or maybe those choosing to watch their tried and tested black and white TV's instead of upgrading to colour. The nail in the coffin will be when xDSL is completely turned off, hopefully BT set this date as soon as FTTP/4G/5G are sufficient to cover everyone.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »

It will be indeed the end of an era. People will have to find new hobbies and other things to do with their time.

Excellent.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2020, 06:35:47 PM »

And again makes me think of people still using vinyl 25 years later.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »

Most of the vast knowledge people have acquired relating to DSL will be completely worthless, and as we simply can't chose to forget this knowledge, or reclaim the memory  space it's claimed in our neurons, this will be a depressing thought for many. We'll only have access to the same troubleshooting steps as Joe average (turn it on and off), as opposed to the multitude of xDSL related troubleshooting steps we can do now.

History has shown us that there will be some that will cling to xDSL for as long as possible, similar to when some folk refused to stop cooking with wooden fires when electic/gas ovens came about. Or maybe those choosing to watch their tried and tested black and white TV's instead of upgrading to colour. The nail in the coffin will be when xDSL is completely turned off, hopefully BT set this date as soon as FTTP/4G/5G are sufficient to cover everyone.

It'll be amazing, can't wait!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »

And again makes me think of people still using vinyl 25 years later.

There's a reason to use vinyl. Zero to use xDSL when FTTP is available.  :)

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:53 AM »

There's a reason to use vinyl. Zero to use xDSL when FTTP is available.  :)

Yeap! Plus a bit different since at some point xDSL will be permanently retired by BT. It won't be available to order at that point, no matter if you think it's superior or if you just prefer it. BT will then reclaim some money by stripping the KM's of copper (they're welcome to my craptastic aluminium string cloth line) to sell.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:02:08 PM by Dave2150 »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2020, 01:38:38 PM »

There are probably going to be some people that'll miss fixating over line stats but on the whole it's a massive improvement for everyone.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »

Yeap! Plus a bit different since at some point xDSL will be permanently retired by BT. It won't be available to order at that point, no matter if you think it's superior or if you just prefer it. BT will then reclaim some money by stripping the KM's of copper (they're welcome to my craptastic aluminium string cloth line) to sell.

If my e-side is anything to go by it will just be dust when they rip it out of the conduit.  I'm still amazed I ever got a decent ADSL2+ service out of it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

nfxcr3w

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »

I got told by Openreach that I won't get FTTP due to not having one of those wooden poles where fibre runs to the houses so I'll be stuck with VDSL forever.  :'(
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »

I don’t see how it can literally be forever as there won’t be any VDSL2/FTTC one day. Your forever might be about the same as mine though  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »

I got told by Openreach that I won't get FTTP due to not having one of those wooden poles where fibre runs to the houses so I'll be stuck with VDSL forever.  :'(

Not the case, we don't have poles on our estate as it's all underground, yet they were out surveying the ducts and spraying on all the pavements in readiness for FTTP.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6