Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Websites with bizarre lists of phone numbers. Why?  (Read 545 times)

22over7

• Reg Member
Websites with bizarre lists of phone numbers. Why?
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »

When the landline rings, and shows a number I don't recognise, I generally let it ring out, while googling the number. Very
few leave a voice mail: of those that do, most are obvious scam calls, with a robotic voice telling me I'm going to be prosecuted,
or I've been signed up to amazon prime, etc. 

The first couple of pages of google results are usually hits on dodgy-looking websites that seem to be nothing but catalogues
of random phone numbers. (Try, for example "01799494983".)

My suspicion is that these are, 90%, repositories of spoofable numbers set up scammers to use.
Am I wrong?

Now that  there are 5 or 6 of these a day, recently up from ~ 1 a fortnight,  I'm beginning to get a wee bit misanthropic, and I'm usually
such a sunny bunny...

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Websites with bizarre lists of phone numbers. Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »

I whiled away a few moments in Magenta CodeLook. Look what came up!
Code: [Select]
01799 49   Saffron Walden, Essex  Geographic Virtual    Andrews & Arnold (Numbers) I don't see Andrews & Arnold an ISP using a number in their block for scam calls. It looks like the rats have used  stolen someone's allocated number,even.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Websites with bizarre lists of phone numbers. Why?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »

I vaguely recall hearing of one instance where scammers made calls from a spoofed number that was actually in use as a normal line.

The real user found out when people started calling back to complain.   And unfortunately there were rather a lot of people calling to complain, and not all of them were being polite. :(

anything