Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG modems stupid question - ROM-D and XML comments questions  (Read 1785 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

if you reset a ZyXEL modem with the pokey hole and wait 20 S until flashing red light turns solid red, and you upload a firmware bin file in, stupid question: do you then later also have to delete any rom-d file? Or is that all part of a total reset?

Just now, I’ve loaded Johnson’s firmware, and then loaded a previous-saved XML config file of my own, based on the AA standard one with my own tweaks applied and per-slot customisation 1,2,3,4 for my choice of 192.168.n.1 IP address and various distinguishing slot-n identifiers elsewhere too. Is that alone enough?

Another question: does anyone know if the modem will allow you to put xml comments in the config file and just safely ignore them like it should ? Or will it freak out because it’s not really processing XML properly?

(Like a stupid Firebrick, which doesn’t handle xml comments half the time and mangles the config, missing subsequent items out if you’re unlucky, but only sometimes. I have now written a tool for the iPad (in iOS Shortcuts) that strips comments out before upload by using regex-based search-replace processing, just to fix freakage and failed uploads or worse incorrect contents being ingested.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZyXEL VMG modems stupid question - ROM-D and XML comments questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:22:37 PM »

The ROM-D is an area into which an ISP/CP can place their customisation, which then turns a "vanilla" ZyXEL device into an ISP/CP "flavoured" device.

Uploading firmware, either via the GUI or the Broadcom boot-loader firmware update page, does not modify the contents of the ROM-D.

In the specific case of a VMG1312-B10A, I always advise clearing ROM-D at the earliest opportunity. Access to the device via the supervisor login is required.
  • From the CLI, issue the incantation save_default clean.
  • From the GUI, Maintenance > Configuration > ROM-D and left-click on the Clean button.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:05:32 AM »

I had forgotten you can do this from the GUI; I have been doing the clean by using telnet instead which is more time consuming because I was already logged into the web gui anyway earlier, to upload the xml config, so now I know about the feature in the web gui I can use that while I’m there. So thank you for that, very helpful.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:41 AM »

an off-topic question; or one tangential anyway - how long does it take you to flash the firmware bin file in at the rescue/reset/recovery web prompt after 20 s solid red led hole poking? I waited forever, stupidly and never got any visible indication that it had finished; it said 2 mins so a tried just over that amount and that worked, but it never (visibly) rebooted, as I was expecting

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »

I usually allow a good 3 - 5 minutes and then power off the modem/router. After allowing another minute to elapse, it is then powered back on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:57:17 PM »

I didn’t reboot the modem - it just booted on its own and when I reconnected http, I got the usual web UI, and at http port 8000 the Johnson stats graphing web UI.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:23:39 PM »

Right.  :)

As long as you have a known, reliable, method then just continue to make use of it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 12:00:26 AM »

Your instructions and those of Johnson came in very useful - thank you. I also consulted Andrew’s pages at the AA support wiki:
        AA ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A
and
        AA ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A factory reset
and found those very useful.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 12:30:39 AM »

I found the factory reset page particularly useful when ftp the rom-d file for my VMG8924-B10A. All worked as it should with factory defaults restored after a reboot which happened automatically when I typed bye.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 12:32:17 AM »

@banger what rom-d file are you using, banger?

Would someone who can easily recover from mistakes try an experiment for me? Try putting an XML comment into a good XML config file and upload it into a ZyXEL VMG xxxx modem/router ?

I don’t really understand the ROM-D file; it is good to have a backup of a known-good or ‘base’ configuration, maybe that’s all it is and this way you can have a saved customised one. As simple as that. But it really doesn’t limit you, because you can always do the solid red led hole-poke and that then lets you get in as supervisor and you have godlike powers too. The ISP say has no protection against the end-user doing whatever they like, ultimately, because the user can replace the config and even kill the rom-d even without knowing the supervisor password. I suspect I’m looking for too much in it, it’s not really supposed to be a secured system, and that’s the right design.

It would be better if there were two rom-d files; an ISP one and a user’s own one ‘last known good’ - ‘came up ok’.

Is there a way of customising the rom-d file ? I don’t know what the contents of such a file looks like. AA’s page Tesla’s you how to restore a ROM-D file, but you have to have obtained one from somewhere in the first place. Can you take the config state that’s in a modem and save that state converting that into a rom-d file?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:52:21 AM by Weaver »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:59:33 AM »

@banger what rom-d file are you using, banger?

Would someone who can easily recover from mistakes try an experiment for me? Try putting an XML comment into a good XML config file and upload it into a ZyXEL VMG xxxx modem/router ?

I don’t really understand the ROM-D file; it is good to have a backup of a known-good or ‘base’ configuration, maybe that’s all it is and this way you can have a saved customised one. As simple as that. But it really doesn’t limit you, because you can always do the solid red led hole-poke and that then lets you get in as supervisor and you have godlike powers too. The ISP say has no protection against the end-user doing whatever they like, ultimately, because the user can replace the config and even kill the rom-d even without knowing the supervisor password. I suspect I’m looking for too much in it, it’s not really supposed to be a secured system, and that’s the right design.

It would be better if there were two rom-d files; an ISP one and a user’s own one ‘last known good’ - ‘came up ok’.

Is there a way of customising the rom-d file ? I don’t know what the contents of such a file looks like. AA’s page Tesla’s you how to restore a ROM-D file, but you have to have obtained one from somewhere in the first place. Can you take the config state that’s in a modem and save that state converting that into a rom-d file?

The rom-d file that was supplied with the firmware zip from the official Zyxel ftp site. ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/VMG1312-B10A/firmware/
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655