Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC DLM Policy  (Read 1742 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
FTTC DLM Policy
« on: February 18, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »

How to tell if DLM policies for FTTC is on stable, standard or speed, seem can't find out. Does anyone know?

Also what is this Dynamic Line Management - 5 retrain DLM trial? - https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga00520.do

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:20:14 AM by adslmax »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: FTTC DLM Policy
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »

Not sure about the policies, but that Openreach note looks like they are experimenting with adjusting the point at which a retrain is triggered (eg changing the number of ES that trigger a retrain, or perhaps using different parameters).
I don't suppose we'll be able to get the detail on this and will find out what they've done by looking at peoples stats over time.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »

Updated: PN has told me my line is on standard dlm policy and will placed an order to put me on speed dlm policy which it due to be completed tomorrow but has warned me that DLM can banded my line again if become unstable!

Does this mean will be 10 days training period as a DLM will be a new active on day 1 tomorrow?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:36:34 PM by adslmax »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »

Updated: PN has told me my line is on standard dlm policy and will placed an order to put me on speed dlm policy which it due to be completed tomorrow but has warned me that DLM can banded my line again if become unstable!

I thought you had downgraded to 40/10 - on your line moving to the speed profile will make no difference whatsoever.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »

I thought you had downgraded to 40/10 - on your line moving to the speed profile will make no difference whatsoever.

No I didn't as I stayed on 80/20 because if I downgraded to 40/10 I will be lots worsen on discount eg: £23.50 a month for 40/10 but 80/20 will remain at £22.50 a month.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 11:06:55 PM »

Plusnet use Speed for FTTC...  and Standard for adsl.   

I thought you knew that Max.  - See here DLM Stability Levels
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:14:38 PM »

Not sure about the policies, but that Openreach note looks like they are experimenting with adjusting the point at which a retrain is triggered (eg changing the number of ES that trigger a retrain, or perhaps using different parameters).
I don't suppose we'll be able to get the detail on this and will find out what they've done by looking at peoples stats over time.

It will be changing the MBTR thresholds.   
That is the number of times your line retrains (resyncs) before the DLM takes any action, which in turn depends upon what stability level the ISP uses. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 01:11:56 AM »

What are the maximum MBTR thresholds for downstream and upstream for speed dlm policy?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 07:39:32 AM »

I'm not convinced these are the full story any longer as my line certainly seems to be using something other than these thresholds for DLM intervention.  My best guess so far is SES.

NGA Profile, ES, Resyncs
Speed 2400 20
Standard 1200 10
Stable 600 5

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »

Confirmed it is exactly as it says - Lowering of the MBTR to 5 resyncs per day.    It is only a trial and not in general use yet.

Existing MTBR limits remain in force for now.
https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#DLM_categorising_the_line

Code: [Select]
MTBR red thresholds

Speed 4200
Standard 8400
Stable 16800
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »

You may also be interested in my post elsewhere about MTBE and the subsequent post afterwards which could eventually affect MTBE only if Openreach deem the trial a success.

I've managed to get hold of my DLM MTBE data and by comparing with my own stats obtained from my router, I can confirm that for all days bar one that the Openreach MTBE data matches up with my MTBE calculations (give or take 1 or 2 err secs) which would imply DLM is still using the same MTBE parameters and is only using ErrSecs.

The one day which had a difference was actually in my favour.   DLM recorded MTBE of 3500 whilst my modem captured MTBE 1630.    I was a bit puzzled by this at first especially as there was no data recorded either a couple of days previously.    So either DLM didn't capture the whole days data... or....this unrecorded data may have been discarded to a Wide Area Event.   

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »

What are the maximum MBTR thresholds for downstream and upstream for speed dlm policy?

Seriously max?   
I gave you a link to the page which details them 2 posts before you even asked the question :'(
-----