Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Worse Zen FTTP 900 performance following GEA migration  (Read 21756 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Worse Zen FTTP 900 performance following GEA migration
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »

That is interesting, as Zen does seem to top-out around 915Mbit which is lower than a lot of FTTP ISPs.  It does make you wonder why this is.

Perhaps I'm lucky. I generally get 934 (zen/btw).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »

Perhaps I'm lucky. I generally get 934 (zen/btw).

Speed test or real world?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2022, 10:33:58 AM »

I see there are claims being made via ISPreview that some performance issue experienced with Zen's network has been resolved.  Don't know if this is the issue they had with my Zen GEA connection, and obviously I'm not in a position to test it any more.  I'm hesitant to suggest it definitely is the same thing, given their claims it had only been ongoing for a couple of weeks... And my issue dated back to June!  Could just be an attempt to spin, though.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/11/uk-isp-zen-internet-resolves-network-performance-issue.html

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2022, 07:04:58 PM »

It's a separate issue.
The issue affecting Zen customers on the 900Mb/s service on their GEA network is still unresolved.

Zen acknowledged the GEA issue long before 2 weeks ago, but they claim it is affecting a tiny proportion of users.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2022, 12:21:09 PM »

Apologies for being stupid, but what exactly does GEA mean? (I’ve googled it and come up with various hits that don’t seem appropriate, talking about a business users’ service that is ethernet over FTTx, ie it presents ethernet to the user, and by the way not ethernet hidden inside PPPoE.)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2022, 02:32:50 PM »

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/exchange-based-products/gea-cablelink

That is the GEA product that is in context here. It's a OR product that allows an ISP to get access to connecting backhaul on OR's links to their network - for example an AltNet can sell FTTP over OR's network.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »

GEA means generic ethernet access.
It's an Openreach term.

We buy GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP.

A provider buys a GEA Cablelink to connect each Openreach OLT/L2S to their backhaul.
GEA Cablelinks come in 1Gb and 10Gb options. A single cablelink can serve both FTTC* and FTTP customers but there's also now FTTP only L2S and cablelinks.
Openreach often offer discounts on FTTP only GEA Cablelinks so that the likes of Talktalk, Sky and Vodafone pay up and can actually serve the millions of new homes being passed with FTTP. It's a considerable outlay for providers to get national coverage which is why smaller providers like A&A use other providers backhaul.
When I refer to FTTC above that includes both VDSL2 and G.Fast.

Zen offer 3 choices of backhaul on many exchanges. BT Wholesale, Talktalk business, or their own "GEA" network, which they call Plexus.
On their control panel on Openreach they refer to their own network as GEA.

I often refer to GEA backhauls as BTw, TTB or Zen GEA, Sky GEA, etc, though they are all GEA.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2022, 06:53:55 PM »

It's a separate issue.
The issue affecting Zen customers on the 900Mb/s service on their GEA network is still unresolved.

Zen acknowledged the GEA issue long before 2 weeks ago, but they claim it is affecting a tiny proportion of users.
Ah, Ok, that's a shame (not that it matters to me anymore)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2022, 09:40:36 PM »

Thanks all for explaining.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

anything