Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Great wi-fi coverage router with Lantiq xDSL chipset  (Read 2879 times)

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: Great wi-fi coverage router with Lantiq xDSL chipset
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »

Agree on lack of stats but I think is nature of lantiq chipset rather than fw. On vigor I got most of stats but handy pbParams is not there, also I can't tweak upstream snr where with openwrt you can (to stabilise line), that is why I keep spare zyxel VMG1312-B10A if for some reason dlm put me on interleave so I can mantain settings and once I'm on fastpath I switch back to lantiq modem.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »

Agree on lack of stats but I think is nature of lantiq chipset rather than fw. On vigor I got most of stats but handy pbParams is not there, also I can't tweak upstream snr where with openwrt you can (to stabilise line), that is why I keep spare zyxel VMG1312-B10A if for some reason dlm put me on interleave so I can mantain settings and once I'm on fastpath I switch back to lantiq modem.

You can't tweak upstream SNR, you can only tweak downstream.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 06:53:19 PM »

Really? I though you can with this command :
locs 0 -5
Where "0" is for upstream and "-5" value for downstream.
Could be wrong as I didn't tested changing "0" value. (never needed).

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »

locs is LineOptionsConfigSet

locs 0 -5
0 is to specify which option to set, 0 specifies "noise margin delta ds"
-5 is the value to set

The locs command can set other options, the rest generally being of no interest or not even applicable.
DSL_OPT_NOISE_MARGIN_DELTA_DS = 0
DSL_ERASURE_DECODING_TYPE_DS = 1
DSL_TRUST_ME_BIT = 2
DSL_INBAND_SPECTRAL_SHAPING_US = 3
DSL_ENHANCED_FRAMING_US = 4

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:35 PM »

Learning every day  ::)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »

My preference will always be a good stable modem in bridge mode connected to a hopefully stable router, but its not the end of the world if its a little wonky as it wont cause DLM to kick in if your modem is its own rock-solid box.

As a router the Home Hub 5A kinda sucks, but as a modem flashed with OpenWRT I'm finding it extremely stable.  The only catch (other than the hassle of unlocking it but there are plenty pre-flashed on eBay) is I don't think OpenWRT supports advanced stats like QLN, pbParams, etc.

I am only interested in single router with dsl modem built in

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »

You may be struggle to find one box solution. I was thinking about that as well a while ago and it turn out that such thing don't exist. Then I decided to back to two box solution, and this turn out much better option because if you change something on router settings and you need to reboot you don't affect dsl connection while rebooting router, only ppoe session drop, this is more dlm friendly option.
You probably will end up testing few modem-routers before you find right one for your needs.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 01:50:01 AM »

You may be struggle to find one box solution. I was thinking about that as well a while ago and it turn out that such thing don't exist. Then I decided to back to two box solution, and this turn out much better option because if you change something on router settings and you need to reboot you don't affect dsl connection while rebooting router, only ppoe session drop, this is more dlm friendly option.
You probably will end up testing few modem-routers before you find right one for your needs.

I have decided to go with TP-Link Archer VR600 v2 or VR900 despite their BCM chipsets. Shouldn't be more of a difference than 1ms I guess.

I need to know if someone call tell, can I easily drop PPP session on these routers without touching DSL?

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »

Have a play with online simulator and see if they got all you need.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/emulator/

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »

I have decided to go with TP-Link Archer VR600 v2 or VR900 despite their BCM chipsets. Shouldn't be more of a difference than 1ms I guess.

I need to know if someone call tell, can I easily drop PPP session on these routers without touching DSL?

Watch out for line stats as TP-LINK routers STINGY about that, their custom CLI is pretty much useless and stats monitor programs like dslstats would not work with it..

Also do not assume that the difference shouldn't be more than 1ms, because when I got my TP-LINK VR400 I thought the same (it is broadcom chipset nothing would be better) but the delay was about 6-7ms higher so I realized that my line (or actually my cabinet which has Huawei DSLAM) do not like broadcom chipsets from higher delay to lower attainable rate,, the VR400 wifi bad both 2.4/5Ghz in range and speeds so watch out for your step...

I used the VR600 emulator as an ex. for PPP disconnect / connect without affecting line sync. but it will be the same for VR900 as same as my VR400, all uses the same UI.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:36:42 AM by mofa2020 »

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 12:13:49 AM »

Watch out for line stats as TP-LINK routers STINGY about that, their custom CLI is pretty much useless and stats monitor programs like dslstats would not work with it..

Also do not assume that the difference shouldn't be more than 1ms, because when I got my TP-LINK VR400 I thought the same (it is broadcom chipset nothing would be better) but the delay was about 6-7ms higher so I realized that my line (or actually my cabinet which has Huawei DSLAM) do not like broadcom chipsets from higher delay to lower attainable rate,, the VR400 wifi bad both 2.4/5Ghz in range and speeds so watch out for your step...

I used the VR600 emulator as an ex. for PPP disconnect / connect without affecting line sync. but it will be the same for VR900 as same as my VR400, all uses the same UI.

Thanks for reply.

I indeed used that emulator and could drop  PPP without touching DSL.

At my old house my max attainables were ~45000/8500 and ECI DSLAM. I was with BTw on their Fibre 1 package 40/10. And indeed Lantiq also performed better than BCM based routers that I used such as TP-Link VR900 which was giving me around 2ms higher latency comparing to TP-Link TD-W9980 based on Lantiq chipset. But at that time I didn't know that I could drop PPP to achieve 1-2ms lower latency. Now my max attainable is around 88000/25000 and very low amount of error comparing to my previous line which was full of errors.

So sad I can't afford NETGEAR D78000 based on Lantiq chipset, the other routers based on Lantiq that I know tend to be very expensive or with bad Wi-Fi coverage. I need a router with decent Wi-Fi coverage and that is priority over 1ms higher latency so I went with VR600 v2, will see how it will perform.

Oh and I almost forgot - I am due to be migrated to GEA on 3rd March.

I've just won an auction for VR600 v2 for £30 so I think it is not that bad considering I'll return my stupid D7000 v2.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything