Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dodgy cable?  (Read 1630 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Dodgy cable?
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »

I had some carpet people in today and when they left I had to plug the router/modem back in. But one thing I noticed is how delicate the cable from the hub to the OR socket is.

I noticed it took the hub quite a while to sync, but as soon as I moved the curtains away it nearly instantly connected. Is this normal? or is it supposed to be a bit more robust?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Dodgy cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:32:02 PM »

Or could it be that you are using a "flat" cable, normally provided with a modem/router, that has 6P2C plugs at each end and, as the socket on the SSFP is 8P2C, the plug is loose in the socket? Moving the curtains disturbed the cable and, thus, the plug in the socket . . .

:shrug2:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »

That is possible. I don't understand why they give us those cables when it doesn't fill out the socket properly.

I'll see how it goes, if it re-syncs later on. If it does I'll have to try and experiment. I'm very close to dropping out of Infinity 2 speed these days  :(

Roll on FTTP!  :fingers:
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »

That is possible. I don't understand why they give us those cables when it doesn't fill out the socket properly.

<Nods.> Possibly to save a groat or two.

The ideal lead consists of a twisted pair (copper, stranded core) with an 8P2C plug at one end and a 6P2C plug at the other.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »

I'll see how it goes, if it re-syncs later on. If it does I'll have to try and experiment. I'm very close to dropping out of Infinity 2 speed these days  :(

Roll on FTTP!  :fingers:

Because not everyone has the DSL socket so it has to accommodate plug-in microfilters which only have RJ11 sockets on them.

Then you've got the entire US which I believe use RJ11 as their telephone socket.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors