Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any newer modems available?  (Read 677 times)

cjlhessing

Any newer modems available?
« on: February 15, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »

Hi guys, thanks to this forum got my connection running on a lovely never opened Zyxel 8924 and my Netgear router. That said I was wondering if anyone knew of any more recent releases of modems (or modem+router combos that can be put into bridge). I think the 8924 is a few years old in terms of tech so was thinking there may be some new possibilities.

Saw a linksys x3500...but can’t find any reviews or info on it.

Probably people are just gonna say stick with the Zyxel and probably they’re right lol.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Any newer modems available?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:50:32 PM »

Hi

There is nothing better coming out in terms of the actual modem part, the chip designs are the same and different part numbers are usually just the same designs but made cheaper.  There is no extra profit to be gained by companies like Broadcom coming out with new designs as they can't improve on what is a standard. For example no point speeding up the clock rate of the modem chip as it still can't work any faster than the standard allows.  They could bring out chips using a smaller fabrication process and could then save some power, but when are you talking about analogue parts, changing the voltage the modem works at can change a whole host of other performance variables so it would need a whole new design and testing process and there isn't enough money to be made to justify it.

So stick with what you have, nothing better to replace it with if it isn't broken.

Regards

Phil