Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT monitoring of repeated problems  (Read 1338 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BT monitoring of repeated problems
« on: February 13, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

If there are repeated problems in an area or on one line again and again over time, is there a way for BTOR management higher up to be alerted to the pattern? Is there then some drive to do something to fix it to save money or make things better?

Samad

Re: BT monitoring of repeated problems
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »

Skye Broadband User Group have a Facebook page which was launched when we had a major outage during the Christmas period of 2015.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/913161225447433/

As a result of that outage and subsequent support of the group we had a meeting with BT, arranged with our MP Ian Blackford and this resulted in having direct communication with them instead of their support team at that time based in India. This speeded answering of queries until FTTC was installed in late 2016.

It is called Executive Level Technical Complaints, based in Newcastle.

newcastle.technical.complaints@bt.com

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:15:33 AM »

Samad that’s a very useful contact. Thank you.My question was also about engineers reporting to upper management. Is there any point in telling lowly engineers our repeated woes with copper lines ? (Answer/cure: obviously need to be replaced by all 100% fibre optic.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:43:58 AM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »

Have you your own record of how many faults you've logged over the past year?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:00:06 PM »

@jelv - I admit no, am not that organised. But you could safely say the Kitz forum is the record, with some digging around, because I don’t think I omit any faults - describing them all here, just on the slim chance that someone is interested. Our good friend Burrakucat is many times kind enough to raise a paw and dig out old posts for us, something I find difficult - I struggle with the Search command. Andrew and Arnold’s logs probably don’t go back far enough. But if they do go back a couple of years or so, then digging through them would be a nightmare, because of the level of noise. Even going back to 1 Jan 2020 would be a pain.

Faults are lightning, bad joints, damage from vehicles crushing copper lines and I think that’s all, unless I have forgotten something.

@samad I emailed that address that you gave me. I don’t know if it will do me any good.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »

If you are going to raise it with BT management you are going to need evidence. Even if you can't go back that easily, I suggest you must start a log going forward recording each time you raise a fault, which line(s) and each engineer visit. Without that I doubt you'd get far.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 01:07:25 AM »

@jelv the evidence is all captured at any rate, just needs rounding up into one place.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 08:13:42 AM »

'Repeat Reports' are taken extremely seriously by our hierarchy here at Openreach.

Whenever a task is received via the work-manager system on the engineers i-phones, there will be a number indicator of how many times the circuit has previously been reported, this method of delivery has only been available for a couple or so years though, so not sure what timescales are included in the report ??.

Once a certain threshold is breached, these kind of tasks tend to get captured by our triage teams who will liaise with the local patch manager and agree to despatch a senior engineer/patch lead to try and get to the root cause of the issue.
This can also be escalated via the well-known 'Chairmans office' route.

On a line of your kind of length, Weaver, and the terrain it's routed over plus inclement weather situations .... then circuits of this nature are always going to be more susceptible compared to a newly ducted housing estate around the corner from the Exchange.

Also, it all depends on what 'you' perceive to be a fault condition ?? We have to work to a 'Cone of acceptance' regarding broadband issues, if the electrical tests, the FT2 tests and DSL Close-out tests pass and your PSTN is audibly noise-free, then our remit is met, so to speak.

We can't be chasing 1B swings in SNR.  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »

In this case I was thinking about whatever OR tests agree is a fault. I can run a BT ‘copper line test’ remotely via AA’s control server. I was thinking about all the local lightning strikes three this winter and the enormous amount of engineer time the one before Xmas caused.

> then circuits of this nature are always going to be more susceptible compared to a newly ducted housing estate around the corner from the Exchange.

Absolutely, couldn’t agree more. Now Heasta is going to be a massive spike in unreliability (=engineer valid callouts) compared to all the properties now hooked up with FTTC around Broadford and Breacais

I was thinking back nearly 20 years to when BT eventually buried the cable under the patch below my house that is by the side of the road next to the Heasta fank. Vehicles were constantly driving over the cable to get to the fank causing cable damage and call outs. So that was an example of the system in action.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:37:02 PM by Weaver »

anything