Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 5695 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 10:20:47 AM »

So far looking like its much more stable on the Zyxel which is a bummer as its ~4Mbit lower sync.  (though obviously these things are going to be related)
Exchange: INTAKE (ECI DSLAM) Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) ISP/Modems: Zen (Home Hub 5A running OpenWrt) + Plusnet (VMG-3925-B10B) WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »

As it appears things are working does anyone want to guess when the trial will be expanded as I feel I am missing out now :(

I should have posted in the Plusnet thread to get on the trial but didn't want to risk problems with my connection at this time but as things seem positive I wish I risked it now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »

If Bob managed to get us on the trial the way I suspect he did, then I doubt any more will be added until or if it goes live.   
Not sure which other ISPs opted for the trial but in view of the large amount they were intending on testing, then it was a high proportion of the ECI base.   It would be interesting to see if anyone on some of the other big ISPs such as BT/sky/tt see it enabled on their line.     Thing is most of their customers will be using modems which don't have decent stats, so I doubt many would notice.

I hope it does go through and Openreach roll it out across the whole ECI platform asap.    Then hoping that next they roll on 'x'dB,  which they halted at the last time at the very last min.

I had a mammoth spike of errors yesterday which I saw despite being on g.inp and I half waited with trepidation to see what the DLM did.      I think if my line didn't have retransmission to give it some protection, then DLM may well have interleaved me today.    Even with g.inp,  I got 3k CRCs and FECs went off the scale, so goodness knows how many CRCs that would have been without re-tx.    Mind you the burst did only last a few minutes, but I have seen the ECI DLM be a bit more aggressive than usual of late.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

I also wonder of the stock Home Hub 5A is as flaky as my OpenWRT version.

I tried going to back to it but the Zyxel seems rock-solid, the HH5A will maintain sync for a day or so then just randomly resync for no apparent reason.

Its curious as while the HH5A is known to be part of the original problem hardware, I don't think this is the typical behaviour.

Honestly though, while I got 4Mbit higher sync with it than the Zyxel, I didn't see any improvement in real-world throughput (even though I saw the Plusnet profile increase) so I suspect its just a crap implementation of g.INP as previously reported.  If anything the throughput seemed to struggle to hit what the Zyxel does with ease.
Exchange: INTAKE (ECI DSLAM) Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) ISP/Modems: Zen (Home Hub 5A running OpenWrt) + Plusnet (VMG-3925-B10B) WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »

Did you tried different vdsl fw on openwrt? 🤔

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

Will i actually see g.inp this time? remember on the last trial I never had it at all.
AAISP - Billion 8800NL bridge & PFSense BOX running PFSense 2.4 - ECI Cab - LINE STATISTICS CLICK HERE

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »

Did you tried different vdsl fw on openwrt? 🤔

I thought about it, but honestly it seemed a lot of work seeing as DLM would likely kick in at some point causing any conclusions to be invalid.

Its just puzzling that there is nothing that jumps out from the stats to suggest a problem.  I'm kinda suspicious that it might actually be upstream causing the problem, as Lantiq syncs higher and I have zero control over what happens to upstream sync.  Just easier to stick with BCM as if they roll this out fully then maybe they will enable 3dB SNR which would get me back the speed anyway.

That said, I'm keeping my fingers cross that by the time the trial ends in August it wont be long until FTTP is an option.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:20:23 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »

I noticed a new post in the BQM thread a few minutes ago and was having a browse through some older posts.

I spotted kitz BQM... ouch!

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21177.msg367178.html#msg367178

[/url]

That's a nasty increase in latency and a huge amount of packet loss.

ES/SES are huge and FEC has gone off the graph.

https://kitz.co.uk/linestats/errors.htm

G.INP still active.
Curious if DLM will act or if it's essentially off on trial lines.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »

Oh dear me! Was it like this in every PN customers? Or only ECI customers?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

Oh dear me! Was it like this in every PN customers? Or only ECI customers?

Neither.
Only kitz line.

I'm of the opinion something is borked on her ECI DSLAM.

A resync usually fixes it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »

She has this issue that comes and goes, g.inp mitigates the impacts of problems, but it isnt a cure all fix.
AAISP - Billion 8800NL bridge & PFSense BOX running PFSense 2.4 - ECI Cab - LINE STATISTICS CLICK HERE

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 08:01:08 PM »

Nothing to do with the trial.   That is my daily dose of SHINE gone mental - which it does from time to time.
I have something set up to alert me and thus prevent that mess by switching off my modem for a short while before DLM sees it.   

Unfortunately I'm having a really bad flare atm and have gone several nights without sleep due to pain. Plus lots of other stuff going on which hasnt helped.   It was about 6am when I managed to get to sleep and was amazed to find out it was 11am when I woke which is something I've not done for years.   However,  I had slept through my alarm and also numerous email alerts telling me my connection needed a reboot.

That mess _would_ have continued until I physically put a stop to it and it is why I monitor my line. Usually I catch it within 10 mins. Today I didn't.   

G.INP doesn't do much for SHINE.   FEC doesn't do much either when its that bad.   I've no doubt DLM will have spotted it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2020, 02:35:26 AM »

Since that horrendous burst of noise, I thought the DLM may hammer me.    But touch wood it looks like I've gotten away with it  :fingers:

After I rebooted the other day to clear the noise, when it came back up I noticed my SNRM was at 6.8dB but it immediately dropped down to 6.4 and as my sync was fairly rounded to 68Mbps (67790) and just assumed that it was just the DSM playing with power.   I happened to notice this evening my SNRM had gone back up to 6.8 again so out of curiosity I performed a resync.    Now connecting at 68960 so that's yet another small gain of 1.2Mbps giving a total gain of ~3Mbps since g.inp was enabled on my line.

My daily SHINE is still there as I'm seeing FEC's each morning for 1 min, but for the past few days it hasn't caused any E/Secs

No idea why DLM didn't kick in..  but I'm certainly not complaining.  :)
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2020, 04:42:27 AM »

If the line is Retx High I'm not sure what DLM could do.

Don't think the Huawei DLM would take any action on a 6dB Retx High line for high ES.
There's nowhere else for it to go.

If Retx Low I'm surprised DLM didn't try Retx High.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7