Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 3911 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »

I've managed to get hold of my DLM MTBE data and by comparing with my own stats obtained from my router, I can confirm that for all days bar one that the Openreach MTBE data matches up with my MTBE calculations (give or take 1 or 2 err secs) which would imply DLM is still using the same MTBE parameters and is only using ErrSecs.

The one day which had a difference was actually in my favour.   DLM recorded MTBE of 3500 whilst my modem captured MTBE 1630.    I was a bit puzzled by this at first especially as there was no data recorded either a couple of days previously.    So either DLM didn't capture the whole days data... or....this unrecorded data may have been discarded to a Wide Area Event.   

Wide Area Events do appear to work on my cab as there have been two instances where I know I have definitely gone into ILQ red, yet DLM has discarded the data and taken no action.   One during a thunderstorm and the other where iirc there was a period of errors after some sort of power outage.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 06:03:06 PM »

The above calculations do not explain why we are seeing some instances of oddness where a few lines have had DLM action taken at a ludicrously low rate of errors.

In other news I can however confirm that Openreach are playing and looking at employing a temporal DLM which has been up for trials since Sept last year.  This info is in the public domain so I am not giving away trade secrets.   

Temporal DLMs do not run for a 24hr period and may only record data during either certain times of the day or may run for differing time periods.  (with the same params).  The idea of temporal DLMs is to increase stability for lines whose 24hr period MTBE is in effect negated by large parts of the rest of the day without errors.

Please note it is very important that this is/was a smallish trial and not in general use yet.  Only a tiny portion of lines are on the trial and that is only if your ISP is one of those elected to go on the trial.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »

Has anyone heard back from any ISPs saying they are definitely putting their customers on the trial? 

Can't wait to see if come Thursday if anyone here gets on the trial. 

OR can reset my line off interleave and give me Ginp on Thursday morning it is due to be removed around that time anyway ;)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • skyECI line stats
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »

My ISP Zen told me at this time that they were not taking part sadly for me..
Zen 80/20 - billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode) + Opnsense(i5 Qotom) with IPV6 , AC-88U WAP- ECI cab,

click for ECI cab line stats

click for line stats by pi3/Huawei cab 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »

Has anyone heard back from any ISPs saying they are definitely putting their customers on the trial? 

Can't wait to see if come Thursday if anyone here gets on the trial. 

OR can reset my line off interleave and give me Ginp on Thursday morning it is due to be removed around that time anyway ;)

Did I miss something? What's happening Thursday?
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 -  ECI now Huawei cab
retx low @ 3dB target SNRM
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged with 1508 MTU + Asus RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »

Did I miss something? What's happening Thursday?

Hopefully a new trial of Ginp on ECI cabinets will start.  Full announcement in OP.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 03:28:19 AM »

Ah.
I took any date with a pinch of salt and browsed right past it.

I'd be surprised to see examples of Retx on day 1 of the trial.
Would be nice to see OpenReach beat my low expectations of them on this though,
Previous ECI Retx trials leave me a little sceptical  :D
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 -  ECI now Huawei cab
retx low @ 3dB target SNRM
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged with 1508 MTU + Asus RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »

Completely agree but I can dream that the outcome will be more positive this time :)

OR could have completely given up but they haven't they deserve some credit for this.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 09:50:08 PM »

EE didn't confirmed, but they asked for my details, so we will see on (from) Thursday if something change.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 03:18:43 AM »

Plusnet told forum as they start this next week to move this forward for some of ECI customers to take trial of G.INP not every customers.

Alex Atkin UK

• Reg Member
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »

bobpullen
I've relayed everybody's interest and hope for there to be some movement next week 🙂
Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) Modems: Home Hub 5A running OpenWrt, VMG-3925-B10B Exchange: INTAKE (ECI DSLAM) ISPs: Zen + Plusnet WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »

bobpullen
Too late to the party I'm afraid Sad

I'll keep you in mind for any further activity though.

Seem I was correct as not everyones taking part of this. Very limit one.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »

No its not a very limited one -  As mentioned in the other thread the trial is for 100k lines via ISP opt in.

Read Bobs post carefully

ISP's aren't offering 10-30 lines each, you're reading between the lines. What we won't be doing though, is running this as an open trial. There isn't a team, nor the capacity to faciliate it, and I don't think it's a good fit for this type of activity anyway.

I simply noted the interest and pulled a favour, because in low numbers, I think some open discussion here could be of benefit

I think I can possibly take a good stab at what Bob did, based on the fact that the submitted lines didn't appear to go in until very last minute. 
ISP opt ins have to be in well before the start of the trial date so it gives the ISP time to vet the OR selected list and make adjustments.

Bob is far from stupid and will realise that certain PN customers do have access to full stats so are more likely to notice changes than say Sky customers.   He is aware that much of the problems with G.INP Mk1 was spotted by users of this forum, MDWS and feed back also on the PN community site.  Bob was heavily involved in reporting the G.INP Mk1 fiasco to Openreach..  who were totally blind and oblivious to it until he raised it...  so hopefully those on the trial will report any findings in the thread as he requested.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 04:03:46 AM »

I have had no further updates from AAISP which doesnt bode well.
AAISP - Billion 8800NL bridge & PFSense BOX running PFSense 2.4 - ECI Cab - LINE STATISTICS CLICK HERE

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »

Thats sad  :(

The more people on the trial who have access to decent stats the better IMHO.     I doubt the average [say Sky] user using an SP provided modem would notice what's going on.    Probably those who benefit the most will be those with error correction and interleaving who should see more of an immediate benefit.   I don't have error protection atm, but it would be nice if I no longer had to worry about my daily spike landing me with interleaving.
I'd also be interested to see how much of a difference g.inp does make to my daily dose of SHINE..   as in reality g.inp isn't very good protection against SHINE type noise.    Also my line stats have changed quite a bit since G.INP Mk1 when I used to easily get 80Mbps, but I didn't see much difference to the max headline rate.   I'm now hit by crosstalk and my days of 80Mbps are long gone...  so whilst I'm not expecting much of a speed improvement, I am hoping this opens the gateway to 'x'dB. 
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6