Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 5689 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:05:51 PM »

I'm on an ECI cabinet and speeds have been gradually dropping over time. They especially dropped when the next door neighbour joined FTTC. I think their phone wire uses the same cable mine does from the pole to the house (its a semi detached building). I lost about 15Mbps because of that. I'm at 54Mbps. If this can get me back in to the 60s I'd be happy.
BT Infinity 2 - Smart Hub 6 - ECI Cab

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »

When Ginp was working on ECI many years ago it certainly gave me a good 10% jump in sync speed but it is all dependant on a shortish line/disturbers.

You also have to remember that Ginp *may* also lead to 3db targets which should also give a further 10% increase again all dependant on a shortish line/disturbers.

This is good news but i wouldn't get our hopes up yet we have been given false hope before.

I would certainly trial but I guess it will be just random cabinets selected I assume.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 04:57:44 AM »

Thanks max

I notice it said trial and that it requires the ISP to opt in.  Would be nice if we did get it back as it could be a nice little boost compared to a line being interleaved, but I won't hold my breath just yet.    xdB would certainly be nice if that follows.

It's interesting to note that over the past month or so, Openreach appear to have been playing with the amount of errors (and/or type of errors) that it takes before interleaving is applied.  There's a few ECI lines which have been interleaved over the past few months which don't follow the rules as we know them.

@Bowden - same here.  My immediate neighbour switching from adsl2+ to FTTC cost me a very large chunk of speed.  Cant recall the exact amount now without going to check, but something like 10-12 Mbps. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »

I wonder if my line being below the handback threshold would push Plusnet into opting in?

Incidentally, does 3dB on ECI actually mean 3dB or is it more like 3.8dB?  Because with the Lantiq adjustment to SNRm that seems to be as low as either of my lines will go, frustrating as my Zen line could have full sync if it would push a little lower.
Exchange: INTAKE (ECI DSLAM) Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) ISP/Modems: Zen (Home Hub 5A running OpenWrt) + Plusnet (VMG-3925-B10B) WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »

When G.INP was turned on originally on my ECI cabinet it worked perfectly for me. Been interlaced more or less permanently since it was turned off!

Stuart
ISP:TalkTalk Connection:FTTC Cab:ECI Router:Netgear D6220

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 × 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »

@Bowdon as you’re aware, I use IP-bonded lines; it works superbly and I thoroughly recommend it if you’re sufficiently fed up with your speed. Unfortunately we all knew there was going to be a honeymoon with FTTC, as you say, until your neighbour eventually goes for it especially. Still that doesn’t help with the gnawing feeling of disappointment I’m sure; not that I know, as I’ve never even seen FTTC.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »

I wonder if my line being below the handback threshold would push Plusnet into opting in?

Incidentally, does 3dB on ECI actually mean 3dB or is it more like 3.8dB?  Because with the Lantiq adjustment to SNRm that seems to be as low as either of my lines will go, frustrating as my Zen line could have full sync if it would push a little lower.

It won't go lower because your line is banded.

With the right Lantiq modern you can go below 3dB.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

There's a few ECI lines which have been interleaved over the past few months which don't follow the rules as we know them.
My ECI lime no longer uses 2880 ES / 20 resyncs per day it seems to be dependant on SES also now.  If you get enough SES you end up on interleave even if you only have 500ES and 0 resyncs.  It is very annoying as I have to wait 14 days for it to be removed.  Basically a few seconds of SES and you have a reduced speed line for 14d.  Hopefully GINP will help so I really do hope GINP is coming.

I hope we get to see some people posting when they notice ECI GINP on their lines.  I still miss MDWS.

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »

It won't go lower because your line is banded.

With the right Lantiq modern you can go below 3dB.

I figured as much, but why would the line be banded in the first place?  I don't think I've ever synced at this speed before, went from full speed to much lower and its still on fastpath.
Exchange: INTAKE (ECI DSLAM) Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) ISP/Modems: Zen (Home Hub 5A running OpenWrt) + Plusnet (VMG-3925-B10B) WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 12:15:41 AM »

If this is ISP 100,000 lines opt in how can this possibly work - wouldn"t this be a cabinet not specific line setting? The last time it was enabled we had to wait for the cabinet having it enabled and then everyone on that cabinet had ginp?  Confused?

CarlT

• Kitizen
  • Next generation network design and deployment
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »

DLM doesn't do the same thing to every line on a cabinet.

Because a cabinet can do something doesn't mean it will for every line - remember CPs can request specific profiles: this is a new one.
WiFi: Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120 - 5Gb uplink
Routing: Ubiquiti UDM Pro - 10Gb uplink
Switching: 2 * Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S-IN, 10Gb uplinks, various cheap and cheerful
ONT: Huawei 1+1
Exchange: Wakefield
ISP: BT Full Fibre 900. Yes, BT, I know.

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »

Confused?

I suspect you are confusing G.Inp (ITU-T G.998.4) with G.Vector (ITU-T G.993.5). The former, as CarlT has pointed out, can be per line (circuit) but the latter is either all lines (circuits) per DSLAM or none.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »

Yes you are correct I should stop posting in the middle of the night :)

I guess we may see some cabinets getting updated with new software unless they are already all updated.

I wonder if we will find out which isps are accepting trialists and whether you can volunteer?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »

They may have already been updated. 
I had an overnight outage about 5/6 wks ago.  Only noticed because I was streaming something at the time.  If that's what it was, it didn't take long.

If like previous trials it wont be anything that you as a consumer can select to opt into.   
The ISP decides if they want to participate and then that usually includes all their customers using that product.   I suppose it depends if they think it will be advantageous and/or if it will incur any additional workload.   
Plusnet usually opt in to most trials, but it's not always a foregone conclusion - for some reason they didn't for the initial 'x'dB trial.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything