Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommended modem with Intel/lantiq chipset  (Read 4498 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Recommended modem with Intel/lantiq chipset
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:06 AM »

I like the Vigor 130 a lot. It just works. And it does MTU 1508 as well, with no nonsense. Its performance wasn’t exceptionally fast for me in my particular situation, ADSL1 ultra-long line, non-matching DSLAM. And I don’t know about stats - might not be good there. It was very stable and solid. I have no idea how it works in VDSL2. Still worth thinking about though. It may be that its own internal target SNRM tweaking is not high or is non existent. I think that with some modems their aggressiveness is just that, turning the knob up in the trade off of performance vs reliability. Anyone can tweak like that, doesn’t make it a better modem, unless that is what you need/want, just a less reliable one if you’re not careful. The Vigor might have just been a bit more conservative in my situation. As a counterexample, I feel that the DLink DSL-320B-Z1 is maybe an example of the tweaked aggressive kind.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 06:51:57 AM »

Well, the eci modem I'm using at the moment is rock solid and I don't tweak it a lot (-0.6 to - 0.8db if I want full sync speed), but I will prefer to have option to tweak snr based on my issues in past where I have to increase snr to make my line more stable. If I don't want look on stats (not chasing all the time, once for 2-3 days) I will use netgear dm200 which I got somewhere in cupboard, but I like to keep ab eye on my line from time to time. I agree with you that is not all about performance, but current modem with lantiq chipset keep good balance between performance and stability, just not sure for how much longer that's why I start looking for something else.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:48:22 AM by mrk26 »

Dad-Of-5

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »

Is there still access to fritz!box in bridge mode?

Yes you can but only by connecting your pc/laptop directly via LAN

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »

So if I will connect LAN1 on Fritz!box to WAN on router and from LAN2 on fritz!box to router LAN I won't be able to access it?

sharpz44

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »

So if I will connect LAN1 on Fritz!box to WAN on router and from LAN2 on fritz!box to router LAN I won't be able to access it?
Hi did you ever find a solution ,I use Vigor 130 and it will not sync above 72mb and ping is 19 ,when I switched back but recently it was @74 and 9 ping when the line was training ,I’m convinced now it’s the modem. I’m on ECI cab as well
Thanks

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 06:30:28 PM »

Solution? Not sure what do you mean?
I manage to use vigor and zyxel with only one cable connected. I'm using asus rt-ax88u but not sure if you can configure other routers to work same way, if you use asus should be possible.

sharpz44

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 09:34:19 PM »

Solution? Not sure what do you mean?
I manage to use vigor and zyxel with only one cable connected. I'm using asus rt-ax88u but not sure if you can configure other routers to work same way, if you use asus should be possible.
Ok that’s fine ,I guess you went 130 then ,I’m trying to get away from it ,also ASUS AX is great

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:34 PM »

I didn't use vigor 130, I use vigor2760 (sync exactly same as bt eci modem), well tested as after a day with vigor my line was interleaved on downstream and upstream (no errors, nothing special), so have to connect zyxel with cap to get things moving. That was a bit strange as I changed modems in past with different chipsets and never been interleaved, where modems working for couple of days. Old bt eci modem constantly on fastpatch last 3 months, vigor2760 whole afternoon, next day morning line was interleaved.

sharpz44

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »

I didn't use vigor 130, I use vigor2760 (sync exactly same as bt eci modem), well tested as after a day with vigor my line was interleaved on downstream and upstream (no errors, nothing special), so have to connect zyxel with cap to get things moving. That was a bit strange as I changed modems in past with different chipsets and never been interleaved, where modems working for couple of days. Old bt eci modem constantly on fastpatch last 3 months, vigor2760 whole afternoon, next day morning line was interleaved.
I see ,ok thanks for that info and I’m thinking the 130 is causing me issues somewhere ,think I will use my BT eci modem again and see if it changes as it’s not ISP as I switched to IDnet for about 3 months and I am now experiencing the same with BT.
Thanks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 06:24:42 AM »

@mrk26 perhaps BT DLM had been desperate to change your settings anyway and just needed the opportunity of seeing the link go down and then coming up again ? Who knows the workings of DLM anyway? (Well, answer: Kitz herself.)

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »

I didn't see the reason for interleave, line very stable, no burst in errors, not much errors per day, no regular disconnections, and full interleave just straight away.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 06:44:00 AM »

Well DLM is indeed a mystery then.
Pages: 1 [2]