Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MS510TXPP and Netgear "lifetime" warranty  (Read 1255 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
MS510TXPP and Netgear "lifetime" warranty
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:00:02 PM »

I picked up a MS510TXPP Multi-gigabit switch so that my core network can run off the main UPS using PoE adapters (remains to be seen if 12V 2A is enough for the kit which claims 2.5A max, but I suspect so as its unusual for hardware to ever hit max current) and also so that once FTTP is available there is no chance of NAS traffic bottlenecking downloads.

My existing switch the GS110EMX is moved to my media shelf, with a 5Gbit uplink back to the new core switch. (the most likely spot to bottleneck on Gigabit FTTP before as it has the games consoles and ShieldTV where I steam 4K Bluray rips from the NAS)

However what I wanted to discuss was the lifetime warranty.  The registration site claims its actually 27 years, 4 months and 16 days which seems awfully specific.  The older switch also has the exact same date, making its warranty longer despite being a cheaper unit.

What is also rather deceptive is it states the PSU is only warrantied for two years.  This is fair enough for a standard 12V DC 2.5A external brick which costs peanuts to replace (the old switch) and could be argued as an accessory, but its quite bad for the new switch considering its an £80 premium for the PoE+ model and that PSU is internal and going to be much more expensive to replace and clearly is NOT an accessory.

Now the realist in me suspects this is just the maximum date their database is designed to handle, but the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking they are predicting I'm going to die at around 67yro and is hugely offended.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:05:14 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: MS510TXPP and Netgear "lifetime" warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »

The registration site claims its actually 27 years, 4 months and 16 days which seems awfully specific.
That's getting close to 10,000 days. Did it ask you to enter the purchase date?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »

That's getting close to 10,000 days. Did it ask you to enter the purchase date?

Yes, but the warranty expiry date is the same for both units, bought years apart.  So it seems this is just the default they are putting in.

I'm more concerned at the PSU not being covered, not sure that's even legal when its built-in and unlikely to be considered user replaceable so would be hard to argue its a consumable.  Then again, were living in an age where smartphone batteries also are also not user replaceable and they get away with that, so I dunno.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »

I wonder if there’s any connection with the looming Y2038 bug, being the far side of that critical  date?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 12:46:50 PM »

Yes, but the warranty expiry date is the same for both units, bought years apart.  So it seems this is just the default they are putting in.

I'm more concerned at the PSU not being covered, not sure that's even legal when its built-in and unlikely to be considered user replaceable so would be hard to argue its a consumable.  Then again, were living in an age where smartphone batteries also are also not user replaceable and they get away with that, so I dunno.

My bold above - I think a manufacturer can put pretty much any warranty conditions on its products as long as they are deemed reasonable in law. Remember that your contract, and thus your legal rights, are usually with who you purchase a product from - and in the majority of cases that is not the manufacturer.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything