Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: compatible ink cartridges  (Read 4820 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
compatible ink cartridges
« on: February 10, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »

I have a canon pixma MG4250.  Recently I purchased compatible ink cartridges, I have always used canon cartridges previously.  The compatible cartridges are not being recognized by printer. 

Having done some research I have tried resetting printer but with no success.  One suggestion involved removing cartridge, unplugging printer for a period, then inserting cartridge before switching on.  Don't know how you do this as the holder is not in right position to do this when printer is switched off.

However any suggestions as to how I may overcome this compatibility problem, would be welcome

gom

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: compatible ink cartridges
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »

Sorry, can't help with getting the printer to recognise the cartridges but I have a Canon Pixma MG7550 and use inks from The Cartridge shop https://www.cartridgeshop.co.uk/ which work just fine and are about a quarter of the price of genuine Canon ink.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  I will give them a try.

gom

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »

Another to try is www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:02:22 AM »

I have run my Canon MP610 on genuine inks for many years now though that is not the point I am making.

If you stick to the manufacturer's certified consumables then you are guaranteed to get what you pay for.

Compatible cartridges are a different kettle of fish. I am sure that there are producers out there who provide quality ink and conforming chips. However I feel unable to distinguish those suppliers from those from anyone peddling sub-standard products. Good compatibles may be available but do not lump all of them together.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:52:34 AM »

Hence why I posted the recommendation for the cartridge shop. Feel free to continue wasting your money on rip off Canon ink.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »

I have been using compatible cartridges on an epson printer (no longer used as no wifi connection) for a number of years without any problems.  Just got an error message, you are not using an epson cartridge etc which I could bypass.  The compatible cartridges were considerably cheaper than Epson cartridges.

gom

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 05:40:00 PM »

If you stick to the manufacturer's certified consumables then you are guaranteed to get what you pay for.

1 x colour and 1 x black ink costs me nearly £30.

Buying a compatible ink I get 3 x colour and 5 x black for £11 on eBay or Amazon.

I know what I'm going to keep buying.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »

The printer we use most is a Canon dyesub and I have just tried the Cartridge shops compatible ribbon and paper, the ribbon seemed OK when I was using up some Canon paper but now that has gone I'm onto the Cartridge shop paper and it nowhere near the same quality so I will probably go back to Canon next time despite the compatible being half the price. Cant say anything about the inkjet stuff as so far my Canon inkjet runs on Canon inks.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »

Every time I've seen compatibles the blacks have been lighter than official, that includes ink and toner.

So I always religiously stuck with HP and their own inks, until I realised I was printing so infrequently the dyes were going bad or the nozzles clogging, so I moved to laser in October 2013.

Sure official toner is expensive, but the starter black lasted about six years (I could have gotten longer out of it but it was started to get patchy) with the colours reporting as very low but only just starting to occasionally show in print quality.

There's also the fact you can generally get away with cheaper paper on laser and as my mum prints a lot of postage labels, its clearer and no chance of running if it gets wet.  I do hate the environmental impact of toner though, plus its rather dangerous if you spill it which few people seem to realise. (another reason NOT to use third-party)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 06:10:24 PM »

Liquorice.  Thanks for suggesting the cartridge shop, have finally installed cartridges in printer and they appear to be working fine. I have not responded sooner as the previous cartridges have lasted ages despite low ink waring.

gom

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 09:41:19 PM »

To follow up, I ended up buying a whole new laser printer as replacement toner would have cost 2/3 of the price and the last batch of starter toner lasted 7 years so I figured it made no sense to buy toner when I can't be sure the printer would last another 7 years (and replacements hold more than starter so could easily have been 10 years or more).

Turns out it was a good move as the new one has a far better quality scanner, duplexing and support for SMB 3 so I can finally scan directly to a network share again (one thing I wasn't impressed with was how HP didn't update that feature when SMB 2 was deprecated due to security flaws).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors