Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM Memory  (Read 1159 times)

Sonac

DLM Memory
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »

After the storm today and the power being knocked out for hours my modem was able to resync before everyone else. I now have a 1.9dB downstream SNR and a much faster sync speed.

If I keep my line synced like this for the next few weeks will dlm remember my line is stable at this SNR and keep it that way?

Thanks
ISP:
BT Unlimited Superfast Fibre 2 - 78/18 [50/15 actual]
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 - 64/15 [50/15 actual]
DSLAM: Huawei 288
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A HG612 (BT NTE5C + MK4 Plate)
Router: Ubiquity Edgerouter X

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: DLM Memory
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »

No, it might hang on and stay at that SNR value for a while but will in all probability resync at some point and go back to the usual SNR and sync speeds. It is not a normal operating condition.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:06:37 PM »

No. When you next re-boot the modem/router it will re-train using the currently assigned target SNRM.

Assuming you have a VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2) service, are connected to a Huawei DSLAM and the DLM has assessed that your circuit can operate with a target SNRM less then 6 dB then today's events will not make any difference. There are just four possible target SNRMs: 3 dB, 4 dB, 5 dB and 6 dB.

Edit: RAM's fingers were quicker at the keyboard . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Sonac

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:25 PM »

Ah thats a shame. I usually get 2.9-3.4 SNR. I'll just keep enjoying my extra speed for a while until I get a resync.
Thanks for the response. Getting about 5mbps more than normal!
ISP:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »

. . . I usually get 2.9-3.4 SNR.

I strongly suspect, therefore, that the DLM process has already decided that your circuit can operate with a 3 dB target SNRM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Sonac

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:10:08 AM »

Interestingly enough over the past few hours i've been logging my stats and my SNR has dropped from 1.9dB down to a constant 1.8dB with dips to 1.7dB. With a target of 3db surely it shouldn't be drifting in the other direction? How strange.

ISP:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »

>> SNR has dropped from 1.9dB down to a constant 1.8dB with dips to 1.7dB. With a target of 3db surely it shouldn't be drifting in the other direction? How strange.

Not necessarily.    The drop at ~6:30 looks like one of your disturbers has turned on or rebooted their modem. 
- If it's a standard switched on, then its obvious why yours has dropped.
- If it's a retrain, then DSM 'may' have given them a slightly different power profile which in turn could affect your line.   We've theorised before that with DSM it's possible to get in 'power battles' with a neighbouring disturber.    My immediate neighbour is one of my largest disturbers and I've noticed I can pick up different power profiles depending if they are online or not when I perform a resync.  DSM is designed to be aware of any major crosstalkers and adjust power (not just spectral shaping) accordingly.

Not sure what the dip at ~8am is..  but it could just be some type of REIN like activity.    There is obviously what looks some sort of EMI type noise which has temporarily affected your SNR. This sort of behaviour is far from unusual and can happen at any time of the day. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »

Interestingly enough over the past few hours i've been logging my stats and my SNR has dropped from 1.9dB down to a constant 1.8dB with dips to 1.7dB. With a target of 3db surely it shouldn't be drifting in the other direction? How strange.

Just to add to Kitz's good info, your SNR margin will likely continue to drop.  The target is what is aimed for when you first sync up, after that the line will remain connected at any SNR value.  If the SNR drops too low then errors on the line increase and at some point the modem will just give up and re-sync, during the re-sync line conditions are reevaluated and the target is aimed for, and it will sync with your usual 3db margin again.  You will end back where you were before.

Regards

Phil

Sonac

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »

Just to add to Kitz's good info, your SNR margin will likely continue to drop.  The target is what is aimed for when you first sync up, after that the line will remain connected at any SNR value.  If the SNR drops too low then errors on the line increase and at some point the modem will just give up and re-sync, during the re-sync line conditions are reevaluated and the target is aimed for, and it will sync with your usual 3db margin again.  You will end back where you were before.

Regards

Phil

Just as you said my SNR held on for a while but I just got a resync. Sad but it was gonna happen. I held 1.9-1.7dB for almost 24 and my line was rock solid until now. Thats quite impressive!

Thanks for the interesting info all.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:35:14 PM by Sonac »
ISP:

anything