Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT VOIP number not recognzied on DSL checker  (Read 1379 times)

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
BT VOIP number not recognzied on DSL checker
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »

Took out FTTP 330/50 through BT Business last Nov and they issued me with a brand new phone number through their Digital Voice platform (VOIP based), as they no longer offer copper based voice services on FTTP, even if you have a dual copper & fibre feed.

Anyhoo I've noticed BT's own checker (dslchecker.bt.com) doesn't recognize my BT VOIP number. Its not a biggie (I never use the VOIP handset) but is it simply a case that BT haven't updated their systems to recognize VOIP numbers?

Cheers

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: BT VOIP number not recognzied on DSL checker
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »

Surely by definition a VOIP number doesn't exist physically so it would be pointless.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »

Surely by definition a VOIP number doesn't exist physically so it would be pointless.

But doesn't the VOIP number have to be linked to an address? (for emergency purposes etc)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 03:34:52 PM »

No idea, can't see why its just a virtual number as far as I'm aware.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 06:15:08 PM »

But doesn't the VOIP number have to be linked to an address? (for emergency purposes etc)

yes a VoIP number needs to be registered to an address, OFCOM requirement for emergency services to get to the correct address.

But as VoIP is virtual, have you tried using your ONT reference number on the checker?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »

yes a VoIP number needs to be registered to an address, OFCOM requirement for emergency services to get to the correct address.

Seems odd as I presume you can use a VOIP number from anywhere with an internet connection, or am I mistaken?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:02:16 PM »

Seems odd as I presume you can use a VOIP number from anywhere with an internet connection, or am I mistaken?

As with every fixed landline number, every contract mobile number and every registered PAYG mobile number, any given address is available to the emergency services.

You can use a mobile phone from anywhere with a mast but they still have access to your registered billing address.

If I make a late night 999 call from my mobile and get cut off halfway through the call a police officer well likely chap the door that mobile is registered to, regardless of where in the country the call was made.

Seems sensible to me, especially if every "landline" is going to be VOIP to continue having a fixed registered address linked to a number.

As for VOIP numbers not providing results on the BT Wholesale checker, there's still the address option.
I don't imagine it's their biggest priority.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:46:48 PM »

That checker can only give a response on numbers provided via WLR / Wholesale Line Rental. Maybe also FVA but I am not sure on that one.

BT Digital Voice is neither.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »

Makes sense as in the context of that checker, the number is just an identifier for a physical line.

As VoIP is not a physical entity, it would make no sense to use it as an identifier for a physical line.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors