Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rabbit fleas  (Read 471 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Rabbit fleas
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:40:39 PM »

We’re pretty certain that Thomas has had a rabbit because there appear to be fleas in his ear. Janet is picking them off. He is being driven mad by their irritation. What should we do ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Rabbit fleas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »

Advantage flea treatment for cats
or
Frontline Plus Spot on (sometimes called Frontline Combo Spot on)

Do NOT buy plain Frontline Spot On. It's useless.

The Plus/combo version contains (S)-methoprene which is a NFA-VPS medicine which used to require a vets prescription, preventing online sales.
They changed the laws on this recently allowing Frontline Plus and other NFA-VPS medicines to be purchased online provided a short form is completed.

Most cheap cat flea treatments only contain Fipronil which only kills the fleas.
(S)-methoprene also kills the eggs, larvae and pupae.

Advantage uses different ingredients but I've found it to be very effective in the past.

I've never found any of the flea tablets to be very effective.

I'm surprised she can see the fleas in his ears. I can barely see them on white tissue after using a flea comb.

Easiest way to tell is using a flea comb to brush the cat. If you find no fleas it's still really easy to tell if there's an infestation.
Flea poo is like tiny brown dots on the cats fur. Scrape these from the flea comb on to some tissue and wet with a few drops of water.
Flea poo turns red under water from the reconstituted blood
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:41:08 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Rabbit fleas
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »

Thanks John. We’re pretty certain these are not cat fleas - have never had any in this house luckily. Will look that up on the interwebs

Thomas came in in the middle of the night and sat on Janet’s face, in order to warm himself up, while she was in bed trying to sleep. His paws were freezing and his back and head were damp and cold. And he was flicking his ears so we suspect that he might have just then caught the suspected bunny with its fleas. He goes out hunting in the night sometimes and sleeps in the day a lot. I towelled him off a bit since he was so wet. Unfortunately his smothering Janet woke her up. Luckily the fleas had no interest at all in us humans.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:39:39 PM by Weaver »

anything