Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: G.Fast Line Length  (Read 3497 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: G.Fast Line Length
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »

I'm not sure adslmax has, here's a quick NGA (next generation access) GEA (generic ethernet access) test on a Talk Talk Business Standard 330M G.fast product.

Sync Status   In Sync
Downstream Speed (MBPS)   204
Upstream Speed (MBPS)   46.4
Estimated Line Length In Metres   199.2

adslmax's upload looks to be banded at 30...

What does your stats line attenunation say? If your is 35.4dB then you have a better upstream at 46.4 rather than my line attenuation 39.1dB is 30.0 for upstream.

The ISP won't given me GEA TEST say it not available for G.fast only for FTTC

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »

🤦‍♂️
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »

VDSL2 80/20 about right for 253.1m (max rate 90/26)
G.fast 229/50 about right for 223.1m (max rate 249/52)

Well this figures proved me wrong above!

VDSL2 80/20 about right for 243.6m (max rate 88/27)
G.Fast 221/29 about right for 213.6m (max rate 224/30)

Max, please remember those values are just estimations and nothing more.

The one decimal place is really irrelevant so we are looking at --

January 31,2020: VDSL2 253 metres, G.Fast 223 metres
June 15, 2021:   VDSL2 244 metres, G.Fast 214 metres

Difference:              9 metres,          9 metres

As far as I am concerned, +/- 9 metres is well within the experimental error for crude estimations such as the above.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »

What does your stats line attenunation say? If your is 35.4dB then you have a better upstream at 46.4 rather than my line attenuation 39.1dB is 30.0 for upstream.

I cannot retrieve those stats from an Openreach g.fast modem.
G.fast can have a GEA test.
Vectoring is enabled on the line stats I posted, it states not monitored on what you posted.

Line stats I gave are on a 3db 2m - 330m downstream, 2m-50m upstream profile.
Line is 199m long estimated.

I just can't see the point of being on a higher tariff if your upstream cannot go higher than 30.

That would be like paying for 80/20 FTTC but only seeing 10 on the upstream.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:53:53 PM by meritez »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 08:07:24 AM »

I will contact my ISP tomorrow asking if my upstream are banded at 30 if they can removed it off! But on my Zyxel router the data max rate for upstream is still 30?

I don't think it's banded as you are on a SNR of 3dB on the upstream so that's all the speed your line can give.
As an aside my VDSL connection runs at 42/7 as that's all I can get. That speed allows me to have multiple zoom calls and/or HD videos streaming so is perfectly adequate for everyday use. If a large download is being a bit slow I go and make a cup of tea and life goes on. Of course I'd love to have a connection like yours but I can't have one and FTTP won't be where I live for years - it's not even at the planning stage. So when you are worrying about the loss of a few meg on a 200+ Mbps download speed, or the fact that you can only upload at 30 Mbps, just spare a moments thought for the rest of us who can only dream about a connection running that fast.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:47:31 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 03:48:07 PM »

as @adslmax is paying for 160/30 and getting exactly what they are paying for.

afaik he's still on the 330/50 product which he upgraded from the 160/30 last week despite recommendations not to.... so is paying the extra £7

adslmax's upload looks to be banded at 30...

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like a normal line limitation.   It's syncing at 29359 on SRNm of 3.1 dB.   There's nothing left in the line I can see to give more speed. So I can't see any evidence of banding.

Yea goawd why do you need a GEA test anyhow?   Stop bothering them there's nothing they can do.

I'm getting bored at the fact that you are still running estimations from the BTW/Openreach checker.    >:(
I am also annoyed that you havent got it into your head that these are estimations and they change in line with your current line situation.   You are not taking a blind bit of notice of how it works, nor at requests not to keep posting them.    You are now using SRA and your line rate will keep changing within about 10Mbps.   This is perfectly normal.  Your behaviour isn't.

I just can't see the point of being on a higher tariff if your upstream cannot go higher than 30.
He was told exactly that... and he still decided to ignore all advice by going ahead and do so anyway.  Max said he understood how SRA worked and he said he understood that he wouldnt get any additional upstream speed.    Even his ISP advised him not to, but he insisted and still went ahead....  all for the sake of a variable ~40 Mbps downstream that he doest have any need for.

He is locked into a 12 month contract, the ISP has been good in conversations about what could happen if the line went wrong...  but right now it is performing exactly as it should, so this is all he can get.

There is nothing much that can be done - He has locked himself into a 12 mnth contract that will cause a financial loss to the ISP for Max to get out of.   I don't want to see any repeat of the situation with Green ISP.

Max has made his choice and paid extra only for the downstream knowing full well that even the downstream can be variable (or should know that its variable).    I see absolutely no point in him keep checking checker and checking line stats.  He now has to live with that decision for the next year, just like anyone else would.

I don't want to keep seeing stats, I'm not interested.  Because of SRA the sync speed will continually change and I have absolutely no interest in seeing stats every time it does change.   I've said it before and my patience is wearing thin because I really do have a zillion other things that I should be doing., rather than spending massive amounts of time on a line that is performing as expected.    I can't see that there is much left to be said..  this thread and latest stats are pointless.   

Max - I've told you to put the Zyxel away and stop chasing stats.   Go enjoy your connection that you are paying for and your life would be a lot happier.    So would mine.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »

Max - I've told you to put the Zyxel away and stop chasing stats.   Go enjoy your connection that you are paying for and your life would be a lot happier.    So would mine.

I did try put openreach gfast modem but throughput speed down to 94/29 don't know why is this? So, I put Zyxel back and it stay at 221/29. I leave it as it is.

I am now going to do everyone here and kitz a big favour. I won't metion no more of G.fast  stats, BTw checker, GEA test, speed test. I know my G.fast are now healthy at 221/29 as I will stay on 330/50 for next 12 months.

I am going to be busy now next week doing back garden and front garden clean up and housework.

You can relax now Kitz.  :) Hope u feel better soon.  :fingers:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything