Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 123-reg expensive domain renewals  (Read 9628 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 123-reg expensive domain renewals
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »

I have indeed done so. Just hope they are not awkward.

Another domain now - a .uk :

Could someone tell me if I can see what the current value of an IPS TAG is ?

I was trying to transfer a .uk domain from 123-reg to "AAISP", and when I set the tag value, I then got an error. I assumed it was because I had already done this same operation, had set it to AAISP already. I would like to check though that I have not got mixed up and have transferred that domain name to DYNADOT by setting this tag, as I am also transferring some 123-reg domains to Dynadot too, because of cost savings, so I would like to be able to see the value of the IPS TAG as a sanity check.

Can another registrar see the value of the tag? AA sales said to me basically ‘you haven’t done it yet; haven’t changed it’ but it could just be a case of confusion over timing.

Trying to organise and keep track of dozens of these operations is a total nightmare at the moment; because of problems with confusion and memory. Perhaps I should get a friend to do all of them. But I would owe that friend many many pints. (When I worked at Psion PLC th currency for such debts was the unit called the ‘fruity bun’ which was originally literally just that but soon became an abstract concept realisable in all sorts of forms for the resolution of debts either incurred due to heinous bugs or foolishness, or debts that arose as a result of outstanding services or favours rendered. So it would be many fruity buns required for such a painful chore.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »

Hi

@weaver - I might suggest you keep all domains with a single provider if you are losing track of things

Be patient as these transfers will run under a cron set by providers

It is easy to see TAGS, just google Whois and you’ll see pages and pages. It’s no secret for TAGS

As I said, be patient and allow an hour or two for cron jobs

Please also be aware, your nameservers may change depending upon which nameservers you use. If you used say 123 reg nameservers, and you transfer domain out, 123reg may remove you from nameservers and your domain may not have correct dns

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »

> might suggest you keep all domains with a single provider
Sound advice - I would like to do that using Dynadot as the primary registrar and AA for the critical domains;  the reason for splitting it into two is that using AA you can’t go wrong because they can optionally completely handle renewals for you with no possibility of failure due to credit cards screwing up but they are a bit expensive whereas Dynadot is cheap is cheap and seems decent to me.

Thank you John.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

dynadot have an option of keeping existing nameservers configured, and this has always happened for me when I migrated domains to them.

But of course its a good idea to check this is the case after the migration.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »

Hi

@ chrysalis

Sorry this was meant if weaver were using 123reg nameservers and transferred away, 123reg would then delete the account and no dns as nameservers point to a null platform

As you state, most new providers keep existent nameservers but above cause fail

Many thanks

John

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »

yes in that situation if he is using them to host the nameservers, those records would need setting up again on the new provider.  Is he doing that?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »

I can of course now see the IPS tag value in the WHOIS output now you’ve reminded me that it’s on display right there!

123-reg still giving me an error when I try to change the tag on one .uk name. I’m chasing support about it but they haven’t come back to me yet.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »

Is it my imagination or has 123-reg put up domain renewal prices a lot in recent years

I was just charged over £14 for renewal of a .uk domain. I’m thinking of moving to dynadot. Do I waste a load of money if I don’t wait until the end of the annual period

I also have my .org.uk domain coming up for renewal shortly and 123-reg want almost £29 for two years which as weaver says seems a large increase compared to what they used to charge.

All I use it for is to forward emails so that amazon@ or bills@ goes to my ‘actual’ email address so am wondering if one of the other firms mentioned on this thread - ionos, Dynadot etc provide this in their service when you renew a domain name?

Also, it’s just been pointed out to me that I may have left it to late to transfer my domain name and avoid paying 123-reg.. so knowing if I would waste a lot of money if I didn’t wait until just before the next renewal period would be good to know.

I only have the one domain and have never transferred it so it’s not a topic I know about.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 04:01:54 AM »

£29 for 2 years is very high, sadly these costs can get bloated when a registrar gets too big for its boots and its branched into other areas.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 04:54:26 AM »

I remember the days when you could get a .uk for £5 and a .com for less than £10, approx.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 07:45:21 AM »

More hassle from 123-reg. I tried to get an auth code for transferring a domain away and the option to do so on their website now just keeps coming up with an error. A bit suspicious. I’ll have to phone their support number as there doesn’t seem to be an email contact address or an electronic live chat option. Very annoying; there’s some mention of software upgrades to their support ticketing system so there could be a genuine reason for this nuisance, here’s hoping so.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 08:03:13 AM »

Hi

@weaver - there will be nothing untoward with 123reg and they certainly would not intentionally stop a domain transfer

All your domains would not be a deal breaker to them been moved away

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »

it’s just that their website seems broken - they give out an error message when you try to get an EPP code out of them, and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious way of getting in touch via email or live chat or useful web support interface. there’s only a telephone number so i suppose i’ll have to try that tomorrow.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »

And thanks john, for your reassurance. I’ve used 123-reg for years and years but their prices have now just become silly, no?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »

it’s just that their website seems broken - they give out an error message when you try to get an EPP code out of them, and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious way of getting in touch via email or live chat or useful web support interface. there’s only a telephone number so i suppose i’ll have to try that tomorrow.

Have you checked if the domain is locked?  I believe you normally have to unlock it first before you can request a transfer.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything