Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Plusnet HubOne stats  (Read 4341 times)

gentoo

Plusnet HubOne stats
« on: January 30, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »

Hi all wondered if someone be kind enough to help me understand my Hubone router stats.
I am currently on a fibre 40/10 connection and wondered if switching to a 80/20 connection would make much difference to my throughput speeds. Thank you…

4. Board version:   Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime:   5 days, 17:17:57
6. Data rate:   9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:   12921 / 54723
8. Noise margin:   6.7 / 11.0
9. Line attenuation:   14.0 / 12.6
10. Signal attenuation:   14.0 / 12.4

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Plusnet HubOne stats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »

The short answer is "possibly", depending on what "much" is to you.

I would take from the stats that the most difference you could see 6 dB SNRM is ~3 Mbps more on the upstream and ~15 Mbps more on the downstream (the throughput will be slightly less due to overheads).

That assumes that your line would be stable at 6 dB. If you're connected to a Huawei DSLAM, then there is the possibility of the SNRM being as low as 3 dB (drops in 1 dB steps).

It's a bit of a risk since you may end up paying more but not receiving much more. What has your ISP said for estimates? What does the DSL checker say for your line (in terms of VDSL estimates)?

Q. for other members: I haven't used the PN Hub One for some years, but doesn't the attainable look enemic for the attenuation?

Q. for OP: What does your internal wiring setup look like?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Iain

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »

The most you will get is as per line 7. Maximum data rate:   12921 / 54723/Realisticly, your sync speeds are going to be a bit under that.
Only you can say if the litte extra yu get is worth it.

gentoo

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me. My cabinet is a ECI and is approximately 500m walking distance. My setup is a Mk4 master socket 5C recently fitted with no internal extensions or powerline plugs.
My ISP provided information for my 40/10 package but not for the 80/20 so as suggested I'll probably end up paying more for not much more in terms of throughput….

Estimated Download Range: 38 - 40Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 8 - 10Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 38.6Mbps

DSL checker shows
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmxACMXhnID7lQHK-Kh7rxJyGb_I?e=oAPA9N
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:58:33 PM by gentoo »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »

The DSL checker suggests that the distance is probably more like ~300m as G.fast is available. Unless this is a database error, underestimating the distance. But your attenuation would suggest roughly the same distance.

While it looks like you did a check by address (telephone is going to be more accurate), those estimates seem sort of in the right ballpark for the attenuation. Though it does seem like the case where your DSL checker estimates are much higher than what it looks like can be attained, probably not helped by ECI-itis (lack of G.INP, XdB).

If you have the same estimates checking with telephone number, then I cannot see an immediate reason why the ISP wouldn't be able to offer it to you. But there is a real chance that you won't be able to attain much more than you do already, whether that is caused by internal and/or external influences.

Who fitted the new socket?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »

I believe that they are estimating it based on the current stats available from the Hubone, I mean on DSL checker it would estimate based on the number and I guess they have approximate line length in data base but on the other hand ISP would say what is showing up on their own system (not the DSL checker) which for sure is based on the current stats...

What do you mean they are estimating it based on the Hub One? These estimates are based on the line's capability, while also taking into account the package.

gentoo

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 06:00:53 PM »

I believe the HubOne uses a Lantiq chipset but I have no idea how long it's been on the market, I did try using a BT Smarthub 6 Broadcom chipset surprisingly the max data rates and speed tests were lower than the HubOne, maybe my line prefers Lantiq modems?
An Openreach engineer fitted the MK4 master socket

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »

I'm losing it, looking up a Hubone Router! :o For me personally, it's lethargic, some 10% slower than the Zyxel.

OT, I know, but look at this to make you cry or laugh hysterically! ;D
https://digitalsurvivor.uk/2019/05/02/plusnet-hub-one-routers-lethal-radiation/

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »

I believe the HubOne uses a Lantiq chipset but I have no idea how long it's been on the market, I did try using a BT Smarthub 6 Broadcom chipset surprisingly the max data rates and speed tests were lower than the HubOne, maybe my line prefers Lantiq modems?

Typically ECI cabinets prefer Lantiq, Hauwei prefer Broadcom.

I'm losing it, looking up a Hubone Router! :o For me personally, it's lethargic, some 10% slower than the Zyxel.

OT, I know, but look at this to make you cry or laugh hysterically! ;D
https://digitalsurvivor.uk/2019/05/02/plusnet-hub-one-routers-lethal-radiation/

OMG, they even confuse 5Ghz WiFi with 5th Generation Mobile networking.  :lol:  Clearly a very trustworthy source.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:56:14 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »

Could be the case that Lantiq modems perform better on your line. Though, not all Broadcom chipsets are equal anyway. Furthermore, the Wayback Machine for WikiDevi suggests there are two variants of the Home Hub 6 - the A version with the Broadcom BCM63137, and the B version with the Lantiq PSB4395. I actually thought there only Broadcom variants of this device, or perhaps I had forgotten. ???

Ah, so it would have been checked then I would presume.

I never had much luck with the Hub One. I've mentioned it many times in the past that it is a trash device, at least it was on one of the lines here. It sync'd in the usual range, but unstable to the point where DLM took action and penalised greatly.

---
My advice would be to query your provider about 80/20 and see if they can offer it. Take note of their Minimum Guaranteed Speed, since this is important - since your modem is giving you a max attainable of about ~55 Mbps now, if attains that after the upgrade, they won't do anything if their guarantee is less than 55 Mbps.

Alternatively, if you want more speed, you could look for a G.fast provider. From your estimates, I could see that the clean range is 174.3-138.2 Mbps downstream. I am pretty sure engineers are still sent out for those installs (you could check with the gaining provider) who will try to fix any nasties with your connection.

Could you please do the DSL checker using your phone number? It looks like the one you provided was from your address.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »

I never had much luck with the Hub One. I've mentioned it many times in the past that it is a trash device, at least it was on one of the lines here. It sync'd in the usual range, but unstable to the point where DLM took action and penalised greatly.

Did you try it with OpenWRT?  I just switched over myself due to being able to force 3dB SNRm downstream on the crappy ECI cabinet and its only been a day but so far its rock-solid stable on OpenWrt 19.07.0.

Stats on my lines are:
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime: 1d 0h 1m 50s
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 73.993 Mb/s / 20.000 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 77.175 Mb/s / 23.725 Mb/s
Latency: 0.0 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 12.9 dB / 15.0 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 12.9 dB / 14.9 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 3.7 dB / 8.5 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 6.1 dB / 13.8 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES): 101 / 16926
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 0 / 3
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 0 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 35 / 35
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 63 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Infineon 208.134
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime: 12h 56m 16s
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 68.922 Mb/s / 20.000 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 69.040 Mb/s / 20.471 Mb/s
Latency: 0.0 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 12.2 dB / 14.9 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 12.3 dB / 14.7 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 3.4 dB / 6.0 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 5.5 dB / 14.4 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES): 40 / 29244
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 0 / 61
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 0 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 64 / 64
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 10 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Infineon 208.134
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:07:54 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »

Did you try it with OpenWRT?  I just switched over myself due to being able to force 3dB SNRm downstream on the crappy ECI cabinet and its only been a day but so far its rock-solid stable on OpenWrt 19.07.0.

Sadly not. This was some years ago. I didn't fancy getting my hands dirty with flashing OpenWRT. I did consider buying some flashed devices from eBay, but in the end I didn't. Anyway, I'm on G.fast now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 08:19:41 PM »

Sadly not. This was some years ago. I didn't fancy getting my hands dirty with flashing OpenWRT. I did consider buying some flashed devices from eBay, but in the end I didn't. Anyway, I'm on G.fast now.

It is very fiddly, the photos do not do justice to just how tiny those probe points are you have to solder to.  Though ironically, it makes it easier as its easy to melt them.  The hardest part was getting the darn thing to see the TFTP server, and the HH5 hated the first USB stick I tried to use.  But I've flashed three of them now with a 100% success rate.  (but maybe only an 80% plastic clip survival rate getting the thing apart)

gentoo

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 09:15:57 PM »

Thank you for the advice and helpful suggestions folks, I will definitely contact my ISP to request information re their 80/20 package.
Yes G.fast could be an option however I'll see what 80/20 delivers before I get toooo carried away…

@re0 below is a DSL phone number check the stats seems very similar to my address check

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmxACMXhnID7lQIEClm0vSTWCHwa

Thanks again....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:18:27 PM by gentoo »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »

It is very fiddly, the photos do not do justice to just how tiny those probe points are you have to solder to.  Though ironically, it makes it easier as its easy to melt them.  The hardest part was getting the darn thing to see the TFTP server, and the HH5 hated the first USB stick I tried to use.  But I've flashed three of them now with a 100% success rate.  (but maybe only an 80% plastic clip survival rate getting the thing apart)

I was put off by a couple of things, which were soldering and destroying the clips. I didn't even have a soldering kit to hand at the time. Last time I soldered was with a Huawei B310 after I wanted to rollback the firmware and bricked it, which was within the last year. I tried to all the methods I could, on both Windows and Linux. No avail. Don't think my soldering was bad, just that the device was too far gone... at least I try to convince myself. :D

Anyway, sorry for the digression.

Thank you for the advice and helpful suggestions folks, I will definitely contact my ISP to request information re their 80/20 package.
Yes G.fast could be an option however I'll see what 80/20 delivers before I get toooo carried away...

I am still a little stumped why the attainable is so low for the attenuation. Perhaps there are other factors, including many users on your cabinet creating crosstalk. I guess the only way to find out is to go ahead. Just be prepared for disappointment.

I presume you are using Plusnet based on your router, so be aware that they don't offer G.fast. You would need to look elsewhere for that, which upgrading to 80/20 may have implications for.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything