Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Huawei approved limited access to UK  (Read 2905 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Huawei approved limited access to UK
« on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »

I can understand the caution about Huawei because of its country of origin.

Mixed vendors have always been a commercial decision, at least with Openreach. I'm not sure about the other companies.

I do find some of the language by some of the news media abit hysterical. I think it comes from a lack of understanding of the 5G technology, and how much Huawei is embedded already in both 4G and FTTC.

I think Boris has probably made the best choice he could. Now its up to the Americans if they are going to accept it.

After a protracted period of uncertainty the UK Government has today confirmed that kit from Chinese technology giant Huawei and other “high risk vendors” will be banned from the “sensitive” core of future UK 5G and “gigabit-capable” fixed broadband ISP networks, although non-core 5G kit (antennas, street cabinets etc.) will be exempt.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/huawei-you-go-uk-green-lights-firm-for-non-core-telecoms-kit.html
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8653-huawei-kit-decision-arrivied-at-for-uk-5g-network-operators
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51283059
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei approved limited access to UK
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:32:19 PM »

If I understood correctly, there were even suggestions that all existing Huwaei equipment would need removing.  :o

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »

They're not having my phone :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:30:35 AM »

Its such a deep lack of understanding of networking, if they think Huawei has been calling home and nobody would notice this rogue traffic on the core network.

Ironically equipment most likely to be able to get away with that, are the ones they are allowing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 06:10:01 AM »

And a lot of traffic will be encrypted.

One thing they said on the news last night is China could theoretically hit an off switch and shut down large chunks of our network, this I suppose is feasible.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »

And a lot of traffic will be encrypted.

One thing they said on the news last night is China could theoretically hit an off switch and shut down large chunks of our network, this I suppose is feasible.

I think that could possibly be true of any vendor.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »

This is presumably why there is movements towards more open software managed platforms with a mix of vendors.  So if one vendor tries anything, the management layer will just failover to the other vendors kit.  It might cause contention/routing issues, but it wont completely take out the network.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »

I think that could possibly be true of any vendor.

Indeed, American Vendors could do the same.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »

Indeed, American Vendors could do the same.

That aspect becomes a question of ‘who do you trust’

Places I have lived, once I get to know the neighbours, I’m likely to give one or two of them a door key, for use in emergencies.   They could misuse  it, that’s a risk. 

But it doesn’t follow that I should stand outside the local magistrates court, handing my door keys to every petty criminal on their way through the door.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »

I can only express my utter indifference at the whole affair.

Via a MacBook Pro assembled in China, connecting via the hotel's WiFi - a Huawei router going to a Huawei DSLAM connecting to a Huawei OLT.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 08:48:45 PM »

Places I have lived, once I get to know the neighbours, I’m likely to give one or two of them a door key, for use in emergencies.   They could misuse  it, that’s a risk. 

But it doesn’t follow that I should stand outside the local magistrates court, handing my door keys to every petty criminal on their way through the door.

One no more than the other, America is currently the most aggressive country in the world in its military activities and can be quite indifferent if you don't abide to their political desires.

There has been no proof of significance against Huawei, simply America's word that they are bad.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 09:33:43 PM »

One no more than the other, America is currently the most aggressive country in the world in its military activities and can be quite indifferent if you don't abide to their political desires.

There has been no proof of significance against Huawei, simply America's word that they are bad.

It seems to me its the US assuming everybody else is doing what THEY are trying to do.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »

Honestly? You should trust nobody.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:19:57 AM »

Honestly? You should trust nobody.

He didn't say he trusted his neighbours, but was willing to take the risk.

We leave a key with a neighbour when away, and members of our extended family (brothers/mum) also have keys.

Only problem we've had is when neighbours didn't have access or contact numbers and the house was broken into whilst we were away, hence why we now leave a key with one and also give them contact numbers.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:22:01 AM by Ronski »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything