Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interleaving. On or Off.  (Read 1912 times)

tauron

• Just arrived
Interleaving. On or Off.
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »

I have been on ADSL Max for a month now.         I have a Dratek 2500 router and sync at 7616000;   SNR Margin 16.3:  Line Attenuation 15.9.      I have a BRAS profile of 6500000 and interleaving is on.       CRC errors, 7 up and 418 down.     Modem has been in sync for 504 hours.     I am roughly 1.5 km from the exchange.

Speed Test Results.

IP Address: xxxxxxxxxx
Last Test Date: 7/9/2008
Total Tests Taken: 8
Fastest Download: 5980 kb/s
Fastest Upload: 365 kb/s
Average Download: 5163 kb/s
Average Upload: 275

I have heard that 7616000 is the maximum sync rate when interleaving is on so would it be worthwhile requesting it to be switched off, based on the above stats.   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Interleaving. On or Off.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

Hi and welcome

You certainly seem to have a stable connection with ample noise margin to spare, so switching off interleaving would probably get you the top connection speed (8128) and an IP profile of 7150 kbps. But there's a degree of uncertainty about the error rate - without a doubt you would get more errors, but how many more you won't know until you try it. So it's a little bit of a risk.

For what it's worth, my personal view is that the speed increase is fairly insignificant in a practical sense, so I would only make the change if I needed lower latency (ping).
  Eric

tauron

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »

Think I will leave it as it is then if you think the extra speed would not really be noticeable.   I don't play online games so low latency is not an issue.    Thanks for a quick response.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »

You're welcome :)
  Eric

anything