Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Openreach announces another 250,000 rural premises to get FTTP  (Read 6642 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach announces another 250,000 rural premises to get FTTP
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

Alas, I can't give an answer to your question, B*Cat ..... but utilising existing stock, is as good a shout as any in my book.

:)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »

So my neck of the woods is on the latest list. Could be good news. I currently use VM as my DSLAM is about 1k distant and the VSDL speed maxes at 13/14mbps. And its an ECI cabinet!*

Presumably BT would be able to use what ever ducts and chambers and whatnot connect to my property so potentially I could have a real alternative to VM, with a healthy dose of competition as a result.

* for a few brief weeks GINP pushed me up to 18mbps - but it was not to be.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 02:03:54 PM »

So my neck of the woods is on the latest list. Could be good news. I currently use VM as my DSLAM is about 1k distant and the VSDL speed maxes at 13/14mbps. And its an ECI cabinet!*

Presumably BT would be able to use what ever ducts and chambers and whatnot connect to my property so potentially I could have a real alternative to VM, with a healthy dose of competition as a result.

* for a few brief weeks GINP pushed me up to 18mbps - but it was not to be.

Absolutely, pal.

It, of course there are factors to be taken into account in order for it to be feasible, but if you're not a single dwelling in the middle of absolutely nowhere, there's a very good chance.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »

Having VM available is actually a massive bonus here.

While there are people popping up claiming that it's ridiculous that Openreach are deploying FTTP over the top of VM coverage and they'll sell more where there's no VM, which is true they are missing a really, really simple thing.

A VM customer drawn back to Openreach = 100% new revenue. An existing Openreach customer moving from FTTC to FTTP = a (very) few quid a month more revenue.

Uptake of 60% instead of 30% means nothing when you're getting virtually nothing from the extra 30% and spent twice as much getting FTTP to them in the first place.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 10:42:50 PM »

Of course people seemed to disagree when I mentioned there is other factors aside from population density and availability of fast competitors.

My area, has both yet isnt in plans, so there is other factors at play, political factors will be at play for rural areas, for urban areas, subsidies offered by councils to get themselves high up the list may also be at play.

I did laugh when openreach replied to me 2 weeks before my MP told me she succeeded in getting them to rollout VDSL, and their reply was the area didnt make business sense to roll it out.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »

The cab a few streets up has also had one put on.   
They added a line capacity extension to that particular cab a few months (5/6?) ago - so now it has an extension which goes to the pavement and without vents on one side.. and on the other a newly added pod with vents that looks identical to the one added to mine cab.   Will have to check some of the other local cabs next time I'm out and about.

Further to this I've now attached a photo below. 
You can see on the right the extension pod I thought was usually used for tie pair relief that was added a few months ago.  These pods usually go to the ground and don't have vents.    Then very recently it's gotten a vented pod on the left which hangs from the side of the PCP. 

So having seen this and the one on mine appear at about the same time you can see why I wondered what on earth was happening.    There are not the only 2 cabs which have recently sprung vented pods as I've noticed a few more in the area seem to have got them too.   

but utilising existing stock, is as good a shout as any in my book.

Agreed, seems about the most logical reason to assume it was reason 2 in b*cats post. 
Thanks for the info..   I guess in future we will now have to be aware that even the vented boxes may not necessarily contain electronic equipment.
I wonder if there is much of a price difference between them... probably not in the grand scheme of things.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

Driving down the road this morning and I could not believe my eyes as this has appeared.   I double backed and pulled over just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I have no words.

Old thread/post but finally come across a pic of the inside of 1 of these VDSL pods, attached to this post.

Every installation I've seen of these vented pods has been for a G.Fast DSLAM or a VDSL DSLAM.

This particular pod in the picture is placed on a PCP with an ECI DSLAM.

Looks to be a Huawei DSLAM in the pod, giving capacity upgrades options for ECI cabinets now.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »

Looks to be a Huawei DSLAM in the pod, . . .

I can confirm that the electronics is of Huawei manufacture but I am currently unable to identify the actual model.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »

Thanks for the photo.  :flower: 
That looks remarkably like a MA5616 chassis.   I can see the Huawei logo on the fan tray but cant make out any of the writing underneath. 
Just one thing I'm unsure about - whilst that looks like it has MA5616 components, the fan tray is usually placed on the left of the control board, whereas that is on the right. 

-------
ETA 
I just did a search to see which DSLAMs can use the same MA5616 fan unit and then came up with this  SmartAX MA5818   ;D
Nice!!!   If that's what it is, now I have a model no I can find out more info.   It has multi-board support - VDSL2, Vectoring and G.fast.    :)  Link to video

It wasn't linked from their list of dslams, and I only found it by messing around by 'building a dslam' with the part no's which I'd found for the fan tray which is in the 5616
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:52:27 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »

Yay..  and so now something has been officially announced.
This does indeed appear to be in relation to my post last week when I spotted the checker had changed.

We are indeed on that list,  as are those rural exchanges on the other side of the river where I notice they had also changed to coming soon last week.

Got woken at 06:50 this morning by my blink system which had picked up someone in a hi-vis jacket down the side of my house.
Looked out of the window to see a Lightsource van at the end of the drive and another guy working at the junction box.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 10:20:36 AM »

Nice one, FTTP coming your way then  ;D
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »

looks like it  :)   
Speaking to one of them though said i was the first house in the street who they'd managed to pull a feed through for as the other 4 houses which run from the same JB as mine were blocked..  as were all the houses that ran off a JB higher up.    He said they werent having that much  luck either with those lower down the street so far either and had so far found only one more which wasnt.   They are now working towards the end of  the road so looks like there are some down there which they are able to pull through.   The JB is right outside my house and so glad they were able to pull through as I have imprinted concrete over and above where i assume the ducting runs. 
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »

So the next thing to ponder is whether "Kitz Towers" will have a Nokia or a Huawei ONT installed, when the time is ripe?  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]