Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Openreach announces another 250,000 rural premises to get FTTP  (Read 6645 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Openreach announces another 250,000 rural premises to get FTTP
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »

250,000 homes and businesses in more than 200 villages, market towns and rural areas set to benefit

Openreach today outlined plans to make ultrafast, ultra-reliable and future-proof broadband available in 227 market towns and villages across the UK, with building to commence within the next 14 months.

The portion of this build plan completed by March 2021 is within Openreach’s previously stated target to reach four million homes and businesses with ‘full fibre’ technology March 2021.

These new locations such as Aberdare, in South Wales, and Saxmundham, in Suffolk, are part of the company’s ambition to extend its new ‘full’ fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) network outside cities.

The plans build on successful cost busting village trials launched at the tail end of last year - which have seen engineers developing a range of new tools, skills and techniques to help Openreach extend its full fibre network into areas previously considered too complex or expensive to upgrade.

This is all part of their commercial build not BDUK

More at:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/openreach-add-227-rural-uk-areas-to-fttp-broadband-rollout.html
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8651-openreach-announces-another-250-000-rural-premises-that-will-get-full-fibre

Official Press release: https://www.openreach.com/news/openreach-accelerates-full-fibre-build-to-harder-to-reach-market-towns-villages--rural-areas/

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach announces another 250,000 rural premises to get FTTP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:26 PM »

Indeed so, gt94sss2 ...... thank you for pointing that out and as such, it won't be a god-given right that all will get FTTP under this current roll-out phase.

'The Openreach press release of course has more to add, a lot of coverage is going to talk about the various new techniques such as the diamond cutter, but we covered those last year and the majority of the roll-out is going to utilise existing ducts and poles.

One key point to make is that while the roll-out is aiming for 250,000 premises across all these exchanges there is no guarantee that all premises on any individual exchange will be covered. Given that this roll-out is under a commercial umbrella it is likely that where costs vast exceed the average that a remote property may be missed. There is also the additional problems of wayleaves, which while usually a worry for those living in flats, this problem can also cover private or unadopted roads.'

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »

Grrr...

From the list of exchanges in the ISPReview article:

Shaftesbury    Shaftesbury, Motcombe

Shaftesbury is my head exchange and Motcombe is between here and Shaftesbury!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »

I welcome this list of rural places to get full FTTP. But I'm abit confused about where the non-rural areas fit in.

The list seems to be indicating that they will be prioritsing the listed rural areas up to March 2021.

Do OR envisage that the non-rural areas will be nearly completed by 2021? or are they rolling out FTTP backwards i.e. scooping up the rural areas sooner rather than traditionally later? I can see the advantage of doing that from a speed numbers view because the lower speeds will suddenly become higher speeds so the average overall speed would increase. But commercially it seems strange.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:33:43 PM »

Openreach have committed to passing 4 million FTTP customers by 2021 - most will be urban and they are gradually releasing the locations of their Fibre First locations.

However, I suspect its politically astute of them to include more rural areas where economics allow - especially after they have run trials showing it will be cost effective for them to do so.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »

Yay..  and so now something has been officially announced.
This does indeed appear to be in relation to my post last week when I spotted the checker had changed.

Wow.   Something has changed.  Perhaps a new batch of towns will be officially added to the list soon?

We are indeed on that list,  as are those rural exchanges on the other side of the river where I notice they had also changed to coming soon last week.

Totally guessing here, but after checking addresses in various locations, I think we may be picking up on the tail-end for what is a rural deployment.

My head-end exchange is not listed, nor is Blackpool which I believe has recently received a substantial gov grant to utilise fibre to be laid in along the tram tracks running between here and the airport.   
In other local news Openreach has recruited 42 engineers, some of which will be located at this exchange for the roll out of 'ultrafast broadband'.   How weird when I thought the exchange was heading for the scrap heap, but now it looks like it could be rather busy over the coming year as according to the article they are specifically located at this exchange and not out of our FTTC head-end nor any Blackpool exchanges.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »

Will I be the last regular on kitz to have no planned openreach ultrafast?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 01:01:13 AM »

I doubt it Chrys.   

TBH  I never thought we would get it here and that released list does say 
"These are distinct from the Fibre Cities Programme (encompassing cities, towns & boroughs)" which I would imagine your area is more likely to come under.

g3uiss lives not that far from me, but no news for him yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 02:28:50 AM »

Look at it this way, those of us on the list for FTTP are going to have nothing to talk about once we get it.  :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

Driving down the road this morning and I could not believe my eyes as this has appeared.   I double backed and pulled over just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I have no words.

-------------------
Update

FTTC Available from 1st February 2020      Phase VDSL Sidepod             Huawei
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:47:55 PM by kitz »
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »

Not necessarily a G.Fast pod kitz.

They use identical pods now to add capacity for VDSL2.
No way to tell from looking at them.

If there's no other local G.Fast it's almost certainly a VDSL2 pod.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »

I think there are a few on long rural lines, although I guess it's separation of properties from each other rather than length as such that is going to be the issue.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »

It's the same for me so far.

Though I know the big town near me is on CityFibres future plans. You should see their list to see if your town is on there.

Also I got a question, when they are passing so many premises, am I right in thinking this means they are hooking up the telephone poles/manholes, not actually physically connecting houses (until the house makes an order) ?

I found the old CityFibre list from 2018. I'll attach an image.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:12:53 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »

Not necessarily a G.Fast pod kitz.

They use identical pods now to add capacity for VDSL2.
No way to tell from looking at them.

If there's no other local G.Fast it's almost certainly a VDSL2 pod.

The cab a few streets up has also had one put on.   
They added a line capacity extension to that particular cab a few months (5/6?) ago - so now it has an extension which goes to the pavement and without vents on one side.. and on the other a newly added pod with vents that looks identical to the one added to mine cab.   Will have to check some of the other local cabs next time I'm out and about.
-----

ads

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 03:20:11 PM »

Kitz send them to my town next :(
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything