Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sync nowhere estimate  (Read 2455 times)

Mark07

• Reg Member
Sync nowhere estimate
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »

Hey guys,

So the mother in law is having an annoying issues with her fttc. She's estimated (and used to get) the full 80/20,cab in at the end nd of the street.

However recently its dropped to about 46 meg with a sync of 51. Tested in the test socket and exactly the same sync (to the kilobit) but BTW are saying there's no banding or dlm restriction but the stats seem to disagree.

Is there any way to get a DLM reset remotely?

Cheers
Mark

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: Sync nowhere estimate
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:55:44 PM »

can line stats be posted? Also what router/modem is in use?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:02:26 PM »

. . . BTW are saying there's no banding or dlm restriction but the stats seem to disagree.

Enter the MIL's telephone number into the BT Broadband Availability Checker and see exactly what it says for a VDSL2 circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »

Hey guys, it's a newish (6mo) BT Smarthub 6, dsl checker shows full 80/20 which sounds about right from the attn the router is reporting,

Apologies for the poor screenshot, was in a hurry when i was there, stats are from the test socket.

Dsl checker -

https://i.imgur.com/oVM86Aj.png
Stats -

https://i.imgur.com/kjB76Vp.jpg
Test socket -

https://i.imgur.com/gV2f81o.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »

Ouch, what cowboy fitting the master socket in such a stupid location?

Other than that it looks awfully similar to my second line, crosstalk issues I'd suspect.  Although I'm a little concerned the positioning of that master socket isn't helping, is that a main cable laid right next to it?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 03:14:18 PM »

Well according to the BT checker his sync is way below hand back threshold! He's getting 50mbps and the hand back is 60mbps!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »

Yep and openreach have been out and said there's nothing that can be done and there's no fault but there clearly is something somewhere

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »

Yep and openreach have been out and said there's nothing that can be done and there's no fault but there clearly is something somewhere

There must be something somewhere because I do not think crosstalk could get the speed all the way down to approximately the half, I believe since the speed is less than downstream handback threshold you could and would try another ISP as all the BT is offering is "take it or leave it"  :thumbdown:

could you check with neighbors if this is a common issue in the area "provided that they are on the same cabinet"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »

The ISP now needs to be requesting an Openreach SFI (or is it an SFI-2?) appointment.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »

Bear of little brain's brother here. Isn't the speed near to that of the lower FTTC version? Any chance OP's profile has been accidentally changed?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »

Isn't the speed near to that of the lower FTTC version? Any chance OP's profile has been accidentally changed?

I can see why you have asked the question, for you are thinking about the Openreach 55/10 or 40/10 products.

The answer to your question, though, is "no". The reason for that answer should be clear when you consider the achieved US speed -- 20 Mbps. Hence the Openreach 80/20 product.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »

Can confirm the profile is 80/20, BTW are insisting they send out a new smart hub, if that doesn't work I'll demand an SFI.

Cheers for the input all :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »

Just had a call from BT telling me the max she'll get is 50Mbps because she's so far from the exchange, I reminded them it was FTTC and not the exchange, however they were insistent i was "incorrect" and "thats not how fibre works".

I was so speechless I just demanded i speak to a manager, waiting on a call back.

If the cab is where i think it is, it's not *too* far but i have no idea what the route is like.

Wonder if someone like BS would have a second to check such things? :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »

Thanks for that, I know where the FTTC cab is, and it's not "far" i'm just not sure on the route it takes.

However at an attn of 12, it cant be that far... I know it's not an exact science but my sister has 200Meg over gfast on an attn of 18 haha.
Pages: [1] 2