Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Large SNR margin drop periodically  (Read 777 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Large SNR margin drop periodically
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »

Would someone who understands the details a bit more please have a look at my line stats to try and decipher what this possibly could be?

I'm currently running with a self-imposed cap of 49000/11500 as I wanted to try and watch the line over a long time period to see how it is working. Fortunately in doing so, it means I have captured this scenario 3 times in just over a week, where I see a huge drop in SNRM, max connection speed plummit and lots of ES start counting up. It looks like something big is happening and I'm trying to determine if its something with my house or external. Usually, my SNRM sits at around 10-11dB because of the cap, but this time it dropped all the way to 4dB.

Stats can be found HERE. You can see that today (25th Jan) at around 16:20 things start happening. Previous occasions see the line gradually return to what it used to be capable of over the next hours, and it looks like today is the same case.
I can't think that any load in this house was suddenly turned on (or off) at that time. And my newly installed PV array would have finished all generation by that time (the DC cables do cross the phone line at exactly 90degrees) so I don't think it would be that - plus it doesn't occur every day. I don't use power line adaptors either.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Large SNR margin drop periodically
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

Considering the time, could it be due to a near-by street light that occasionally struggles to light properly?

I've looked through your current line statistics and nothing jumps out at me. For the actual metallic pathway I can see nothing amiss. But other eyes may spot something . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »

I'm wondering if its something to do with the construction site that sits between my house and the cabinet, but I'm going to try do a bit more searching of my own property to be sure.
Since yesterday's event, it's still not fully recovered to the previous levels and it appears to be oscillating somewhat now (I've not seen it do that before).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 01:19:54 PM »

I'm sure I've read about constructions sites being a big issue before.  So many potential places for RFI.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything