Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: is it my line earthed  (Read 4896 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Re: is it my line earthed
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »

Ah right .... wasn't aware you were from different shores ??.

Can you put a photo of the set up on, please ... I can't quite get my head around the description you mention ??

hehehehe  ;D i am just 100ms  away :cool: :cool: not that far  ;) single pair twisted pair drop wire >> using single pair of cat6 cable >> splitter >> one wire to modem >> and from splitter filtered connection with 2 telephone sets
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »

hehehehe  ;D i am just 100ms  away :cool: :cool: not that far  ;) single pair twisted pair drop wire >> using single pair of cat6 cable >> splitter >> one wire to modem >> and from splitter filtered connection with 2 telephone sets

I'm still confused, how is the drop wire connecting to the cat6?  Why are you unable to test at this location?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »

I'm still confused, how is the drop wire connecting to the cat6?  Why are you unable to test at this location?
using 3m UY2 connectors drop wire is connected with a pair of cat6 cable
this one
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-IDC-Butt-Connector/dp/B003ASGXT6
VDSL FTTC 35/18

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 02:56:06 PM »

This is the most effective way to connect them, soldering or just twisting would really decrease performance.. Personally I used RJ-11 on the leading cable then directly into the splitter then one wire to modem and the other to phone..

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »

I see.

Yeah its very different in the UK as everything up to the master socket is considered property of the telephone company.  They include a splitter/filter that plugs and screws into the front of that socket, where we can hook up our personal wiring and it is physically disconnected simply by removing that front panel, exposing the test socket that it plugs into.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »

i am sharing link of the folder please listen audio recording and give me feedback and please use headphones to listen the background humming noise
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s8fe_o_-JIu3kirhVjyWLeiD9_iyeO1v?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:15:08 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »

I see.

Yeah its very different in the UK as everything up to the master socket is considered property of the telephone company.  They include a splitter/filter that plugs and screws into the front of that socket, where we can hook up our personal wiring and it is physically disconnected simply by removing that front panel, exposing the test socket that it plugs into.
yes master socket is very elegant and got RF filter surge protection etc and i wanted to buy one for myself. but with shipping it was very expensive.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »

i am sharing link of the folder please listen audio recording and give me feedback and please use headphones to listen the background humming noise

I've taken a listen. The first file (Recording (2).m4a) does have a very faint background of AC mains hum. But it is very faint and not something that would seriously bother me.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »

I've taken a listen. The first file (Recording (2).m4a) does have a very faint background of AC mains hum. But it is very faint and not something that would seriously bother me.
ok thanks and what about 2 days ago my phone not ringing properly. It was just ringing for a fraction of second. But now it is working fine
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »

Clearly it was an intermittent fault which are, of course, very awkward to resolve.

Think about the various environmental conditions at that time . . .

Weather: Was it raining heavily? Was it hotter than normal? Was it more humid than normal?

Was there any building work / construction taking place near to route of the cable, which contains your pair?

Was the telephony provider / Internet service provider performing some maintenance work?

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 08:42:40 AM »

Clearly it was an intermittent fault which are, of course, very awkward to resolve.

Weather: Was it raining heavily? Was it hotter than normal? Was it more humid than normal?

Was there any building work / construction taking place near to route of the cable, which contains your pair?

Was the telephony provider / Internet service provider performing some maintenance work?
yes i have been told that upgrades are going on in my ISP all over country last time i visited the exchange. But dont know whats the status now. Yes it was raining that day, today is also raining but i just checked phone is ringing properly
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »

It was raining few days ago and AC main hum noise was gone from my line. But after clear skies for few days it is back again. I want to ask is it because of bad grounding in msag or is it because of bad wiring in my DP on pole?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »

It was raining few days ago and AC main hum noise was gone from my line. But after clear skies for few days it is back again. I want to ask is it because of bad grounding in msag or is it because of bad wiring in my DP on pole?

It is impossible to say without physically investigating the infrastructure. 

On those few occasions when I have had personal experience of 50 Hz hum, it was due to water ingress into an underground joint. The worst case was after a prolonged period of rain which flooded the ducts and joint chambers.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything